Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Misty is now in her new home - Another ???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/misty-now-her-new-home-another-t138327.html)

slk350 07-18-2011 07:25 PM

My daughter and I both got kitties from the shelter almost 2 weeks ago. She had another cat around 1 year old and her kitty is around 3+ months. The older cat didn't like the kitty at all. The kitty wanted to play and chase the cat, but the cat didn't want to have anything to do with it. Plus, the cat is very timid around everyone but his "mommy & daddy" and hides when ever I go there.She had to keep the kitty in the bathroom while they were at work.They let them be together when they could watch them. NOW, finally they get along and actually cuddle together. My kitty is very young and thinks I'm his mommy. Sometimes he will cry and follow me, so I pick him up and he cuddles and purrs.He has been peeing on my sons bed with the litter box only a few feet from the bed.He does use his box, just randomly pees on the bed.Anyone have any ideas why he would do that and how to stop it ??? Thanks

Jamiestitcher62 07-19-2011 07:51 AM

Aaww, you got two kitties, God bless ya, one new one is killing me. If the kitty is 3 plus months, it might be marking territory and I would get him to the vet to be fixed. My Smokey was fixed at like 4 1/2 months because he already started spraying. He did it behind the TV in a corner. Where ever they pee, put a bowl of food over it and they won't pee there anymore. It worked for Smokey after a couple of times. Plus there are sprays out there you can spray to deter them, but I'm not sure if they work.

My best guess is he is going into heat early and is marking.

Anybody else got anything?

Jamiestitcher62 07-19-2011 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by fratcat
It will only take one good argument between those two and the territory will be chosen. I would just let them out to get to know each other. the kitten you already have might just take your place and baby the new kitten. You have to let them get to know each other on their own terms. You protecting the new one is just going to make the older one more jealous as if you like the new kitten better. I have 7 and each time I have put a new one in the house, I just let them all be together and they calm down faster that way. I do not show any favoritism over one cat. good luck, they will be fine.

Hi, thanks for that info. My Schmoo is 9 years old and the new cat is 1 1/2. We let them out together the second day and Schmoo ate the new kitties food. Now we find out that the new kitty has an upper respiratory infection with presented itself on Monday morning after Schmoo had contact with her. Crap, now I'll have two sick cats. So the new kitty goes off to the vet and I find out that the shelter which told me she was Kitty Aids and Leukemia free, never tested her. I freaked because she had been with my Schmoo already. I paid for the text and it was negative thank God.

So $162.00 later after giving the shelter a $100 plus an extra $100 to help out another kitty and bringing them 5-20 lb. bags of dry cat food, I'm a little ticked that they didn't tell me they didn't do the test. They just said that she was clean and didn't have anything communicable.

I told them it would have been nice if they had just told me that I would have paid for the test before I even brought the cat home.

Anyway, she's resting comfortably in her room, quarantened for 7 days with antibiotics. That's fun.

Glassquilt 07-19-2011 05:45 PM

When we got a 6 week old puppy, the old dogs didn't want anything to do with the her. But once the puppy grew older & calmer, they accepted her.

I think there is a can't-stand-that-dag-blasted-youngster reaction among many household pets.
Too much energy - leave me alone.

kathome 07-21-2011 06:06 AM

Is there any way you can put a temporary screen door on the room where she is staying? Can use the same hinges and put the regular door back on when peace is resumed.

I've done this and it works really well to acclimate the new baby and the resident.

sueisallaboutquilts 07-22-2011 04:39 AM

How are things working out????