Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   More dolls for VERY sick children (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/more-dolls-very-sick-children-t205805.html)

wordpaintervs 11-19-2012 07:46 PM

so far....so good. The few I've heard from love the dolls. I sur hope that are not tossed aside. That is so sad to hear that.

wordpaintervs 11-19-2012 07:48 PM

Thanks busy fingers. I just posted 3 more along with the 4 above. Might take a break, but also might need to cut out Christmas dresses to go on 4 more dolls for the Ronald McDonald house in Portland, Or...for those that have to be 'away from home'. I'm waiting to see if that will be needful or not.

Greenheron 11-25-2012 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter (Post 5661350)
Do you find the children like the dolls? I was making some for a children's ward at the hospital I worked at. I made probably 5 a month and a few simple teddy bears. After about a year of donating my dolls and bears on my way to my office, one of the nurses pulled me to a back closet and there were many of my dolls nicely stacked with all the other donations they'd received. She told me that the kids just didn't want dolls or hand made items as much as a computer game or store bought Bratz or Barbie type dolls. It was really depressing because I really enjoyed making dolls.

Your dolls are very nice.

I have seen some older ladies in care who love to cuddle a soft doll. Perhaps some of your loving work would find a home there. Despite the dolls/bears in the closet, the younger children would be the ones to be comforted by your creations. It may be they are accompanied to the hospital by a favorite stuffed buddy from home and space doesn't permit more. Does your hospital have an auxiliary gift shop? They, too, might be able to sell to benefit the hospital?

wordpaintervs 11-26-2012 03:12 PM

All good ideas. I sent a doll made from a purchased pattern to them at the hospital gift shop to sell as they help with shlorships (Spelling wrong) for local kids in our small town. If I ever get an abundance, I may think of the nursing home as well. Hugs and thanks for the great reply. Vickey

If I get

Originally Posted by Greenheron (Post 5679153)
I have seen some older ladies in care who love to cuddle a soft doll. Perhaps some of your loving work would find a home there. Despite the dolls/bears in the closet, the younger children would be the ones to be comforted by your creations. It may be they are accompanied to the hospital by a favorite stuffed buddy from home and space doesn't permit more. Does your hospital have an auxiliary gift shop? They, too, might be able to sell to benefit the hospital?

charity-crafter 11-26-2012 05:33 PM

I had a set of 36" Raggedy Ann and Andy I made a few years ago, but they were really too big for my house and we never had kids so I gave them to a local church for their yearly yard sale. I was at the sale when this little old lady with came rolling by with her wheely walker, she had the set on the seat and was so happy to have found them. I know I making and playing with dolls, sad isn't it?

wordpaintervs 11-26-2012 08:51 PM

Thanks again to any I may have missed. I don't mean to not say I appreciate your replies and taking time to stop and visit with me over the dolls, etc.

I am making doll 132 and have outside doll dress and mop cap finished. When I get back from my medical test tomorrow (Endoscopy (upper)) I wil rest a bit and make the nightgown part and try to finish the doll up.

wordpaintervs 11-26-2012 08:55 PM

I had a pair I made years ago and gave to a friend with twins. In my minds eye I could see that little lady with her walker and her joy over the Raggedy Ann and Andy. Wish I'd been there, and been a fly on the wall on that day. My son works at Plaza Art Store in DC, and teaches classes in drawing and painting after work.

Originally Posted by charity-crafter (Post 5681788)
I had a set of 36" Raggedy Ann and Andy I made a few years ago, but they were really too big for my house and we never had kids so I gave them to a local church for their yearly yard sale. I was at the sale when this little old lady with came rolling by with her wheely walker, she had the set on the seat and was so happy to have found them. I know I making and playing with dolls, sad isn't it?

Susanna10 11-27-2012 05:54 PM

You are gifted and have a very big heart

wordpaintervs 11-27-2012 06:30 PM

Thanks so much Susanna. I'm happy you replied and liked my dolls.