Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   My DDil is a wreck (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/my-ddil-wreck-t66200.html)

Ditter43 09-22-2010 10:37 AM

I took my DGC home yesterday afternoon and stay with my DDil last night as my DS is out of town till Friday. She is a nervous wreck. When I got there there was an alarm company there putting in security sensors etc.
We sat up until midnight talking. She was so strung out she couldn't sleep. Both of the children slept with her last night. I will spend the next two nights there so she won't be alone. She feels so violated and after she told me all the details, I can understand why.
Hopefully the alarm system will make her feel safer. It is being completed today.I know it takes time for things to return to normal after a traumatic experience. :-(

Colbaltjars62 09-22-2010 10:43 AM

Glad that she has you close enough to stay with her. It will get easier once things calm down. I think having the alarm will give her a sense of security that someone is on the way to help.
Once she is calmer the kids should follow suit in time.
Give her a hug from us.
Faith

mytwopals 09-22-2010 10:46 AM

The best theft deterrent is a big dog. They'll always make you feel safer and loved at home. But it never hurts to have both a dog and an alarm.

Tink's Mom 09-22-2010 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by mytwopals
The best theft deterrent is a big dog. They'll always make you feel safer and loved at home. But it never hurts to have both a dog and an alarm.

Even a little dog is a deterrent...If she sounds the alarm the big dogs next door start up...besides, people don't know that she is a chicken...she can make a lot of noise if she wants to.

Windwalker 09-22-2010 11:13 AM

Dogs are good, but if they want in bad enough they will get past the dog. It happened to my sons' house not once but twice in 3 weeks. One dog is very protective and they still managed to get past her.

You do feel violated. You never get over something like this but as time goes by it will get better.

And remember that as you replace items taken, hide the packaging the new stuff came in boxes, etc. No need to advertise anything but the security system.

It took me over a year to be able to sleep at night after I caught them coming over the fence to break in. And it has gotten better with time. My prayers are with your family.

Hindsight 09-22-2010 11:16 AM

Bless your heart!

great aunt jacqui 09-22-2010 11:33 AM

When we moved from the big city to our small private road we installed an alarm again up here. you never know. Our 2 dogs are small but make a lot of noise and alert us even if ups comes up the road. We faithfully use the alarm. Have an escape plan if somone tries anything. ALSO one thing if you grab your car keyes and turn on the car alarm that will alert neighbors,(clue them in), maybe scare intruders. put an NRA sticker on all your entrances. In NH we are able to have handguns that is a deterrent too.

Magdalena 09-22-2010 11:36 AM

I am sorry that your family is going through this trauma. My prayers are with all of you. The alarm system will be helpful. I especially like the chime sound when someone opens a window or a door. It is one bill I don't mind paying.

lisainmo 09-22-2010 12:26 PM

It will take her a long time to feel safe and secure I am glad that they are getting a security system that will help her I am sure. I am praying for all of you!!

Chele 09-22-2010 02:25 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this. What a violation. The alarm will help, but still.