Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   My leg swells up (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/my-leg-swells-up-t50415.html)

seamstome 06-19-2010 06:09 PM

I have noticed that my left leg gets swollen after sitting for hours sewing. Example today I started at about 10am and it's 9pm--my right leg is fine but my left is all puffy. I dont have varicose veins, heart problems etc. My kidneys are working fine.

I figure this is like when you fly and you are supposed to move your legs around to increase your veinous flow. Do you guys do some kind of exercise to get rid of this or move your legs around etc?

I get so "into" what I am doing that hours fly by. I get up to iron and today I actually got up every three hours and walked around or laid down with my legs up. I wonder if it is how the chair hits the back of my left leg because when you are sewing you dont sit square.

This only happens when I am sewing and I just had a full MD workup so I am not concerned about anythingelse.

granniebj 06-19-2010 06:21 PM

I've never noticed any problems with my legs, so far. But then I'am up and down alot. I'm sure the way you sit does have something to do with it.

craftybear 06-19-2010 06:23 PM

my legs haven't swelled up either, see if you remember how you had your foot, maybe you need to move around more when you are sewing

amma 06-19-2010 06:23 PM

I never sit for more than 30 minutes at my machine... Maybe set a timer as a reminder to get up and move around more often?

sharon b 06-19-2010 06:57 PM

Mine does that all the time also ... Don't know why :roll: I do try to get up and move more

Lisanne 06-19-2010 06:57 PM

If your sewing position is the problem, I would think your leg would fall asleep or get a cramp - not swell up. I'm glad your last physical was fine, but I'd still ask the doctor about it.

Maybe show him/her a photo of how your leg looks after it swells up. Make sure your other leg is in the photo, too, so the doc can compare.

You might also ask someone to look at your sitting position after you've been sewing for a while. Maybe even photograph it, so you can both study it for what you might be doing that leads to the swelling.

skyle1968 06-19-2010 07:00 PM

My left leg has been swelling up alot lately. I'm not sure what the deal is. Like you said, it's only my left.

Hmmmmm

seamstome 06-19-2010 07:07 PM

Thanks. I brought an Ottoman over and propped my leg up on it. I think it is edge of the chair as it only happens in my sewing room

nativetexan 06-19-2010 07:34 PM

i had a really bad sun burn and the skin on my legs just peeled off in strips. ever since then, they swell easily.
i'd still ask your Doctor about only one leg swelling.

lab fairy 06-19-2010 07:42 PM

I use a timer because I sit on the chair funky and by tush goes to sleep. It won't bother me until it is too late. My doctor tells me I should get up and move, change my activity, etc. around every 20 minutes. Which I have to say is about my attention span anyway.