Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   My MinnieKat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/my-minniekat-t61191.html)

Ditter43 08-24-2010 07:51 PM

She is still a beautiful cat but would be considered elderly by human standards. I think the vet would be the one to see. Have her checked out to be sure there isn't some infection or disease process going on...

mosquitosewgirl 08-24-2010 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
I agree with Raptureready...a trip to the vet is in order. Frequent peeing is usually a sign of a simple bladder infection, cheap and easy to treat. Her confusion may be because she keeps having to pee or is suffering discomfort. I have a beautiful old girl..Sarah who is very similar to your Minnie also 16...Sarah had a bladder infection about 5 yrs ago, she never messed the floors but was using the shower drain, which she only does if desperate/accidently locked inside.

Senility is common in older cats, my sister has a cat who is 19 and has been diagnosed with senility...she has become very vocal and wanders about at night...

Hope all goes well...keep us posted.

And, if it is a UTI, bladder or kidney infection that could very well cause the confusion...any kind of back-up in those sections of the elimination process can cause a type of dementia...

miss_ticky2 08-24-2010 08:51 PM

Beautiful kitty. One of ours a couple of months or so ago starting doing little puddles in the house too..and often. A trip to the vet confirmed a bladder infection and some medication sorted it out very quickly. She's been fine since. She's about 10, we think

kristen0112 08-24-2010 08:53 PM

She is darling. I think you should probably take her to the vet get her checked out.

sueisallaboutquilts 08-25-2010 04:31 AM

Keep us posted on Minniekat. She's so cute :)

crawford1219 08-25-2010 04:32 AM

You may want to take her to the vet to see if she has a bladder infection-we had a cat get one and she started behaving oddly and the vet told us that UTI's will do this to a cat-plus they start going to the bathroom in places they should not as a way to get their owner's attention.

litacats 08-25-2010 07:08 AM

if she is peeing on the carpet it could mean she has a bladder infection or crystals in the kidneys, you need a vet to diagnose and treat this condition, if it is the other it could be just old age at 16 she looks to be doing really well, when they get older they often lose weight and it is often the kidneys or teeth playing up, she is well padded so she looks to be in good health,
if you feed her lots of cat biscuits that can cause problems so as a cat breeder for 16 years my best advice to you is to take her to the vet for a thorough check up, it could be just a case of her getting incontinent with old age, let me know how she goes

katiebear1 08-25-2010 07:13 AM

I don't know about cats, but elderly dogs can get CDS (cognitive disorder syndrome) which is basically doggie Altzimers. Vets say they are seeinfg more of it because dogs are living well into old age due to better care, food etc. I had a little doxie that got it when she was around 15. She got really bad over a period of 6 months or so. I finally had to let her go, she had no quality of life.

lynnie 08-25-2010 08:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm so sorry,my * 1/2 yo Male Maine coon was jsut diagnosed with cancer he has about 1-2 months. he tarted actng strange about 1 month ago. good luck with our furbaby. praying for you .

Xanadu in better days
[ATTACH=CONFIG]104060[/ATTACH]

lynnie 08-25-2010 08:24 AM

* he's 8 1/2 yrs