Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Need fabric buying help (non quilting related)... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/need-fabric-buying-help-non-quilting-related-t73263.html)

moonangel12 10-30-2010 01:37 PM

I am looking for bulk nylon for a very random reason. We just built a house and have an unfinished basement which includes exposed insulation so to save costs we figured for now we could just staple nylon to the rafters to cover it up. I figured it would be pretty easy to find it on the bolt, but no luck so far. Maybe I just don't have the right wording?? Anyone know where I can find it and how much? If not, any other ideas??

DebraK 10-30-2010 01:39 PM

Years ago when I worked at Joann's, you could find some cheap nylon there, especially in their clearance section.

moonangel12 10-30-2010 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK
Years ago when I worked at Joann's, you could find some cheap nylon there, especially in their clearance section.

I wonder if there would be enough. I would have to cover 1200 sq ft. essentially. I was hoping for white just to brighten up the area.

amma 10-30-2010 01:46 PM

are you looking for ripstop nylon fabric?

moonangel12 10-30-2010 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by amma

Yes :thumbup: they have 60" at Joanns for $7 a yard, but when I need around 80 yards that will get pretty pricey...

Lacelady 10-30-2010 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by moonangel12

Originally Posted by amma

Yes :thumbup: they have 60" at Joanns for $7 a yard, but when I need around 80 yards that will get pretty pricey...

What about voile curtaining (net ?) That would come wider, but I have no idea what it might cost in the US.

okiepastor 10-30-2010 02:52 PM

I would take a look at using nylon tricot--would be MUCH cheaper! I used to make lingerie--it was about $2 per yard wholesale and think was 90" wide....another option would be the curtain lining fabric...bet you might find bolts on eBay

moonangel12 10-30-2010 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by okiepastor
I would take a look at using nylon tricot--would be MUCH cheaper! I used to make lingerie--it was about $2 per yard wholesale and think was 90" wide....another option would be the curtain lining fabric...bet you might find bolts on eBay

I have no idea what tricot is... what's the difference between that and ripstop? I know I don't want the mesh type b/c the point is to try and contain the fiberglass so it can't fall down or fall apart since we will likely be spending a LOT of time down there. I have my craft area, DH has his fishing area, and I am setting up a homeschooling "corner" for this winter.

okiepastor 10-30-2010 03:03 PM

Tricot is what lots of nighties are made from--you can get heavier tricot.Some is very light---Look at canvas, too--I once bought a bolt on eBay for $30 +shipping...sometimes the larger deorators supplies have fabric for $1-4 per yard....

moonangel12 10-30-2010 03:09 PM

If I can get 108" width, with my quick calculations I would only need around 50 yards. I think I found a posting for $1 a yard on ebay which is at least worth a shot I guess.