Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Need Help from sewers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/need-help-sewers-t90952.html)

pamkasperi 01-16-2011 01:19 AM

I decided to make a set of sheets for my DD to match her penquin quilt. For the top sheet I used a jersey knit material. Now I'm staring at how big it is and trying to figure out if there is an easy way to sew the edges??? I have a serger...but what is stopping me is trying to press and pin and then straight stitch a piece of jersey this big....is there a simplier way to do this? I've never used my serger for anything other than basic use - (read...don't know any fancy stitches or tricks)....idea's - I'm just afraid if I hunker down and pin and press and sew I'm going to end up with something so out of shape it will end up being cut up for dusting cloths.

**oh and I"m sure the jersey wasn't the best fabric choice - but it matched...I had plenty of it...and it was soft....

so...thoughts or suggestions?

Darlene 01-16-2011 03:53 AM

Be sure to use a needle made for knits.

ktbb 01-16-2011 06:57 AM

Since the two sides and the bottom don't need to be hemmed, use the serger for those, and even serge the top edge to stabilize it and to prevent having to do that small "turn-under" to hide raw edges....that way you only have to do one wide hem for the top edge....and it's the shortest measurement (course - if it's a king size sheet you've still got a long stretch to do). As for that wide hem, I'd just make sure that the fabric is laying flat and unstretched when I turn it over..put the pins in across/perpendicular to the seamline, not parallel to it, and if you want to stabilize the fabric for the stitching, lay down a strip of blue painters along, but no on, the seam line = this will keep the fabric from stretching too much when you sew it...and I'd sew it with a small zigzag to build in some stretch to the seamline. Good luck.

pamkasperi 01-16-2011 08:10 AM

For the top I used the no seam pillow case method - which worked great...so what your saying is just serge the sides and bottom and don't worry about a hem...I LIKE it....and I did not know that about the pinning - would explain why I had a hard time and gave up and posted here!

ktbb 01-16-2011 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by pamkasperi
For the top I used the no seam pillow case method - which worked great...so what your saying is just serge the sides and bottom and don't worry about a hem...I LIKE it....and I did not know that about the pinning - would explain why I had a hard time and gave up and posted here!

sounds like you're almost done...great!

kristen0112 01-16-2011 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by ktbb
Since the two sides and the bottom don't need to be hemmed, use the serger for those, and even serge the top edge to stabilize it and to prevent having to do that small "turn-under" to hide raw edges....that way you only have to do one wide hem for the top edge....and it's the shortest measurement (course - if it's a king size sheet you've still got a long stretch to do). As for that wide hem, I'd just make sure that the fabric is laying flat and unstretched when I turn it over..put the pins in across/perpendicular to the seamline, not parallel to it, and if you want to stabilize the fabric for the stitching, lay down a strip of blue painters along, but no on, the seam line = this will keep the fabric from stretching too much when you sew it...and I'd sew it with a small zigzag to build in some stretch to the seamline. Good luck.

That's a great tip about the painters tape.

pamkasperi 01-16-2011 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by kristen0112

Originally Posted by ktbb

That's a great tip about the painters tape.

it really is - my son wanted a light weight hoodie made out of the same material and I was about to tell him no because of the stretching...I'm going to try this.

ktbb 01-16-2011 09:10 AM

keep in mind that the tape will only stabilize the top fabric - but it helps.