Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Need ideas for gifts to go in advent calendar..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/need-ideas-gifts-go-advent-calendar-t69727.html)

stitchingmemories 10-12-2010 08:22 AM

This is for my Sailor who will deploy in late November. I just found out that we have to have her Christmas gifts mailed by Nov.12 so I'm really needing to rush and I don't think well under pressure. :shock: I am trying to make her a Advent calendar and want to put really special things in each pocket so when she pulls them out they will not only feel like a heartfelt gift but, maybe make her feel like she has a little of home with her. (I'm not thinking candy because of the heat issues)

A little about her.....

She has graduated from the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, CA in Farsi. (I just ordered her 2 little ornaments relating to this).

Been in the Navy two years.

Loves animals (wants a Pug when she can finally have a place off base)

She crochet's.

Loves music (sang with our city's opera for two years before the Navy bug bit her).

Loves her little Honda CRV.

Has a boyfriend stationed in Japan.

Loves movies (Rear window with Jimmy Stewart being her favorite, (which she has).

She is so much more than this but of course I'm drawing a blank right now. I of course need very small items to fit in the pockets. I thought about going with all mini ornaments so that one day she can have a small tree to put just those 25 items on. Just a thought, not firm on that at this point.

I'm hoping my friends on QB can help give me ideas because you guys are so good at that. I really appreciate your help. You guys are the best!

Gigi

Up North 10-12-2010 08:35 AM

How about a charm bracelet and charms to match her interest?

bearisgray 10-12-2010 08:39 AM

What if you put a picture of each ornament in the pocket - and keep the ornaments at your home? I don't think they have much room for "stuff"

What about little things she might need? Lip balm, nail clippers, toothbrush, hand sanitizer, wet wipes, cell phone minutes, batteries, life saver white mints, feminine hygiene products - when they are gone, they are gone - no need to worry about breakage or carrying around.

I don't know what is allowable for mailing/shipping - might need to check with the post office for that.

grammyp 10-12-2010 09:17 AM

How about gift card for music or audio book download, pictures of family and friends, cute socks, or packs of drink mix for water.

sewmuchmore 10-12-2010 09:47 AM

Gigi, my DN was in Iraq I sent him some candy that was on a string you know the kind that kids wear as a necklace. He told me that the guys were fighting over them. So it can be something as simple as that. How about a little Ty Bear, pocket size tissues, hand lotion, soap, things we take for granted they will love to have. Hope this helps.

amma 10-12-2010 09:52 AM

Little items may be hard to find. How about wrapping up little gifts, and number them to correspond to the pockets? Place a piece of candy/gum/mints or something in the pockets to fill them?

CarrieAnne 10-12-2010 09:59 AM

Candy and gum!!!!!!! They also have those little mini ornaments some places.

finch 10-12-2010 10:03 AM

How about a tiny little stuffed pug to tie her over till she can get one.Perhaps they may sell them like a keychain size somehwere.

stitchingmemories 10-12-2010 04:15 PM

Great ideas everyone. Thank you Actually she can hold quite a few things in a trunk on board that is designated for her department so she made a list of things she needed for deployment and I split it with her. I've gotten most of those things and sent to her so she already feels like it's Christmas with each box she receives. haha Because of all the things we've sent her, I guess the things I get for Christmas will need to fun and personal. I think it's because it's such a time crunch (that I didn't expect) that I'm having trouble thinking of things. It will have to be little inexpensive items because there will be 25 of them. lol

Thanks again for the great ideas, now I need to go shopping. :-)

Julie in NM 10-13-2010 10:33 AM

Pic of loved ones she's left. Just a thought