Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Need some help from my quilting friends! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/need-some-help-my-quilting-friends-t156021.html)

lfw045 09-26-2011 03:31 PM

I had to wait 6 months to get new glasses. Now I have corrective glasses and it's fine, however they had to do a second lazer on my corrected eye because of secondary cataract which sometimes happens. I see pretty good now.

Ellen 09-26-2011 03:48 PM

Keesha, the eye with the cataract is the one I was talking about getting the contact for. You don't need it on your good one....it already has the lens implanted. You're just trying to even them up. Once you get reading glasses, you can work.
Anyway, at the Walmart I got mine at, the optomotrist (that doesn't look right, spelling) gave me mine. Didn't have to buy from front storefront inside the store. (I believe the doc is independent)

ube quilting 09-26-2011 03:57 PM

It is just a matter of time before you will be able to do everything again. Not to much longer. A vacation from everything usual and you might even "see" how to look at things through a different eye. Could be very eye opening in the end! From sight to re-sight!
peace

mim 09-26-2011 04:14 PM

It will take time for you to get used to the difference -- I had to cover my "bad" eye when I tried to read . Eventually I learned to adjust what I was looking at. I had to wait 3 years before I and the doc dared to even think of doing the second eye.

Hang in there -- it will get better -- and I'm sure it is worth it.

Mim

keesha_ont 09-26-2011 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by suern3
What did your eye doctor recommend? Since they work with this situation every day, I bet they could tell you the best way to handle this.

I called the surgeon and he had no recommendation. I'm also wondering how long it takes before I can see clearly with new eye as things are still blurry which doesn't help. I'm sorry- not complaining - just frustrated.

mim 09-26-2011 04:41 PM

it took me several weeks to get used to the change. Be sure to wear dark glasses every time you go outside.

Think of it as if you had just got out of surgery and had a cast removed -- it takes time to retrain the muscles -- and your eye has a lot of them.

I will also mention, that if you are really blurry -- please go back to your doc and have your eye checked. It is important that everything checks out well. He can't tell from just listening to you trying to explain.

Mim

keesha_ont 09-26-2011 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by mim
it took me several weeks to get used to the change. Be sure to wear dark glasses every time you go outside.

Think of it as if you had just got out of surgery and had a cast removed -- it takes time to retrain the muscles -- and your eye has a lot of them.

I will also mention, that if you are really blurry -- please go back to your doc and have your eye checked. It is important that everything checks out well. He can't tell from just listening to you trying to explain.

Thanks Mim! I did call him because things were blurry - he said to me he'd see me on October 5th - wasn't really reassuring - just told me I should be driving. Hubby said "NO WAY" If you can't see you're not driving - LOL. He also told me I could work today with no problems! Don't think he took my concerns very seriously! He should because I had to pay quite a bit for this surgery - the cataract surgery was covered but not the special implants. I'm sure it will all work out. I'm just not a patient patient!

Mim

gramajo 09-26-2011 05:23 PM

I don't have any answers for you, but just wanted you to know you will be in my thoughts & that everything will work out well for you. I'm sure it is very frustrating to you being able to see your quilting area & not being able to quilt.

QuiltnLady1 09-26-2011 05:37 PM

hmmm... DH had surgery last Tuesday (Sept 20). His eyes are clear and he is going nuts with the non-surgery eye still having a cataract. Went to the Dr for the 1 week check up and scheduled his next surgery. We had the lens removed from his glasses for the eye that had the surgery and the Dr said he sees well enough to drive -- unfortunately the first appt is in November so he does have to wait a while.

Hope your eye clears up -- make sure your Dr knows the new eye is blurry -- DH Dr told us to let him know right away if it did not clear up within a day or two.

Ellen 09-26-2011 08:27 PM

QuiltnLady, why does your DH have to wait till November? Is the Doc that busy? No other reason to wait.

Get the man a contact lens for his cataract eye...it makes the wait sooooo easy.