Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   needle tatting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/needle-tatting-t218921.html)

betty32084 04-12-2013 05:28 AM

needle tatting

I have a mental block somehow on learning this- I'm doing something wrong -I've got the book, and watch the videos on Youtube. and still can't figre out what I'm doing wrong.I have no problem with making the knots and picots - just can't get it to go into the ring when I take it off the needle.I crochet, knit and shuttle tat , and this has just about got me whipped. Would love to teach my great grand daughter how to do this ,but have to learn it first myself. Help ,please !! by the way - have all the needles ,in all the sizes.

nivosum 04-12-2013 11:08 AM

I can't do it with the shuttle. My mother-in-law tried to teach me, but I'm just not coordinated. I have played a little with the needle tatting and I think I can do it. Like you, I can knit, crochet, etc.

jitkaau 04-14-2013 02:57 AM

Perhaps you are missing out on doing the little tug or jerk at the end of each stitch? If you don't give it that little tug, nothing goes into place correctly. Try to find someone who knows how to do it, to actually help you. All the best with it.

tessagin 04-14-2013 07:20 AM

My grandmother tried to show my cousins and I and we just could not get it right. She tatted just about everything. She taught us how to crochet. I have one cousin who knits and crochets beautifully.

solstice3 04-14-2013 09:18 AM

one of the few things that I have ever tried and couldn't do

Noiseynana 04-14-2013 11:25 AM

Honey this is one of the easiest things I've done. I learned form Barbara Foster. Her book Learn Needle Tatting step-by-step is the one I recommend. I'm slow at learning so it took me a few days to "get it". Now I tat. Her site is Handy Hands Tatting.This book gives pictures to help out. www.needletatting.proboards.com anyway , join up there and you'll get loads of help. PM me if you have questions. I'm not a teacher but I'll help if I can. Also where you need to go is to Barbara Foster site . She will help too. Good luck.

Noiseynana 04-14-2013 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by betty32084 (Post 5995393)
I have a mental block somehow on learning this- I'm doing something wrong -I've got the book, and watch the videos on Youtube. and still can't figre out what I'm doing wrong.I have no problem with making the knots and picots - just can't get it to go into the ring when I take it off the needle.I crochet, knit and shuttle tat , and this has just about got me whipped. Would love to teach my great grand daughter how to do this ,but have to learn it first myself. Help ,please !! by the way - have all the needles ,in all the sizes.

If you can't get the ring , try to pull a little harder. It won't hurt it all all , unless you pull it like Popeye. hehehehe

Noiseynana 04-14-2013 12:32 PM

Ok I finally remembered another site that is wonderful. You'll love it . www.home.earthlink.net/~frmuse/alison/ there is loads of info with pictures. I still use it often.

betty32084 04-15-2013 06:11 AM

I have the book and the needles- I've done it over and over -still can't get anything going but the first ring - have no problem now with that. that's for the info on the website.now all I've got to do is take the time to join it- am in the middle of making 3 banners for our church group for a Memorial Day Service - maybe after that, I can