Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   New internet connection (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/new-internet-connection-t210479.html)

BDor 01-08-2013 05:37 PM

New internet connection

I am enjoying being able to be back on the QB again. I had dial up and it had got so slow that I never got
on anymore. It took forever to load a picture, so I just gave up. I talked to ATT on at least every 3 or 4
months trying to find out if high speed internet would be in my area before long(people that lived within
2 miles of me has had it for years) and they gave me no hope.
Then DISH offered internet service and I signed up the day they came out with in my area! Loving being able
to see the pictures of all the beautiful quilts everyone is making, needless to say I stay on here way to much
but have to make up for lost time.lol

NikkiLu 01-08-2013 06:46 PM

Welcome back - I got high speed internet about 6 months ago and am thrilled, as you are - after that slow dial-up. Now WE CAN SEE PICTURES!!!!!

Tartan 01-08-2013 07:02 PM

Congratulations on getting a new Internet connection!

gramajo 01-09-2013 05:18 AM

I loved it when I finally got a DSL. Dial-up is soooo slooow.

erstan947 01-09-2013 05:27 AM

I know this feeling well! :thumbup:

alwayslearning 01-09-2013 07:25 AM

That is wonderful news!

Jan in VA 01-09-2013 04:59 PM

I know this feeling well, also. The farm land where my little rental cottage is located has been called "The Pocket" for over 200 years, and boy, is it! But now that 4G is available in our area, I finally have good access *most* of the time thru my Verizon Hotspot. I was on the internet back in the days when all that was available was 28k dialup!!! That was slow and a 'hundred' years ago. (1994-ish)

When's the technology going to catch up for the rural half of the country's population? I mean, for Petes' sake, people, it's 13 years into the 21st century already!!

Jan in VA

carolynjo 01-10-2013 02:59 PM

Ah, Jan, let's face it; telephone companies and Internet companies don't make money on us rural folks; too much $$ to run poles and lines. Too much upkeep, etc.

quilter2090 01-11-2013 09:18 PM

I live in a rural area, too. I have the fastest DSL that I can get, and any video I watch online, starts and stops constantly. It really get old fast. Wouldn't it be great to have fast internet, so a person can watch all the online video's as they were intended to be watched. Oh, well, keep dreaming1

Spudgm 01-11-2013 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by quilter2090 (Post 5779895)
I live in a rural area, too. I have the fastest DSL that I can get, and any video I watch online, starts and stops constantly.

You can usually get around this, with most videos, by starting the video and then pausing it, you can usually see the bar turn a different color as it loads. Once the video loads you should be able to watch it without all the starting and stopping.