Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   The new Kindle "Fire" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/new-kindle-%22fire%22-t161127.html)

quiltsru 10-17-2011 10:45 AM

Does anybody have the new Kindle called the Fire? If so how do you like it and is it worth the money?

Krafty Kandy

dongdong64093 10-17-2011 10:54 AM

I don't think they go on sale until November 15th...I would like to have more information on them also....

Sienna's GiGi 10-17-2011 10:55 AM

I'm watching this thread because I want one too.

Cheri_J 10-17-2011 11:48 AM

They are not available until the November 15th. :(

I have ordered mine and am on the waiting list and should have it in my hands on November 17th. I have a kindle now and love it, but I really would like the color.

I have 3G and the Kindle Fire will not have it. This means I will need to be at a WiFi hotspot to access the web or order from Amazon. Just like now, all your data will be housed at Amazon. The present kindle has the E-Ink which isn't affected by glare. The fire will not have this. I do not know if you have a limited storage alotment. I will have to check into that. Other than the price, those are the negatives that I come up with now.

I've promised my brother my kindle with my kindle fire comes and I think I might have done this prematurely because I will not have anything to fall back on, if the kindle fire is a disapointment.

katiebear1 10-17-2011 12:37 PM

I have ordered one also. Can't wait to try it out.

SherriB 10-17-2011 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cheri_J

I have 3G and the Kindle Fire will not have it. This means I will need to be at a WiFi hotspot to access the web or order from Amazon. Just like now, all your data will be housed at Amazon. The present kindle has the E-Ink which isn't affected by glare. The fire will not have this. I do not know if you have a limited storage alotment. I will have to check into that. Other than the price, those are the negatives that I come up with now.

I am so glad to learn this! I definitely want 3G. I am glad I didn't pre-order the FIRE.

I just got DD a Nook Color for Christmas and can't wait to give it to her.

QuiltQtrs 10-17-2011 02:04 PM

Am I the only one not interested in having a Kindle? Simply because I love to
hold a book, read ... and add it to my "library". My motto: A book worth
reading is a book worth buying.

3incollege 10-17-2011 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltQtrs

I'm not interested either. But, I don't want to say never!

jeank 10-17-2011 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltQtrs

That's not my way of thinking. I do not want to OWN the book, I just want to read it. I am a library retiree, I have been in the book lending business for a long time.

I do purchase non-fiction and quilting books, but never a novel. If I wish to read it again, I know just where to get it.

I don't care to have a kindle, but I do like listening to audio books while quilting.

Jean

BellaBoo 10-17-2011 02:16 PM

I ordered the Kindle Fire. It's not a tablet like the Ipad but a media device. You can read, watch movies, browse the web, check email if in a wireless internet area. No camera or other computer programs, no USB ports and not 3G. It's a bells and whistles E Reader. It cost Amazon $150 to make each one. Amazon intent is to make profits from the book/movie purchases. Like printers are sold with little profit but the ink will be the profit.