Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   New Tradition(s) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/new-tradition-s-t209283.html)

running1 12-26-2012 06:59 AM

New Tradition(s)

Hello all... well, I spent some time on the QB this am and was reading about the cookie table tradition which I love... haven't seen it here in OK...

I had been thinking that this year I needed to start asking friends from church (and town) over for a simple supper. It's just DH and me (and the dogs, of course) and sitting down to eat together is a great way to spend some time. I've decided that we need to strengthen the bonds we have with our church family... the folks we know-but-don't-really-know.... Anyway... that's what I'm going to work on starting next week... but after reading all the posts about the cookie table tradition, I'm adding that to my supper plans... guests will leave with cookies!! That way I'll get to bake and try all sorts of new cookie recipes and DH and I won't have to eat all of them!! We'll eat a few, of course (sheepish grin here)!!

Anyone else starting a new tradition??? Happy New Year everyone!!!

erstan947 12-26-2012 07:28 AM

I wish I lived closer and could be part of your new tradition:) A part from family.....good friends are truly priceless. We have our family but we get to choose our friends:)

coopah 12-28-2012 05:56 AM

What a wonderful idea!! Our church organizes a program where you go to 4 different homes during the winter for dinner. People who want to participate sign up, and one person decides on the groupings of people. It's a good idea, but if you get "stuck" with someone you just can't abide, well, you are definitely "stuck." I like your idea much better...thanks!!

loriea 12-28-2012 08:22 AM

A couple of years ago I invited some neighbors over for a pot luck dinner between Christmas and New Years. The theme was to bring left overs so we could start the NewYear out all fresh and new. You would be surprised at what gets buried in the freezer over the year. Christmas cookies you might be tired of at your house are new to someone else. It has been great fun and we are looking forward to Sunday's clean out leftover get together.

NanaCsews2 12-28-2012 08:33 AM

I think this is a wonderful tradition! You may want to include some recipe cards for them also. We do this at Christmas each year. Always trying out new cookie and bar recipes, and we had several requests from work, friends and family who wanted recipes of our Norwegian heritage. We punch one edge of a fancy recipe card and tie with ribbon around the cellophane wrapped around an assortment of cookies and bars. One way to rid the house of all those temptations!

running1 12-29-2012 06:56 AM

Oh yes!! Love these ideas too!! Now that I've (almost) got the Christmas decorations packed away, I can start planning for our first guests... Love the idea of recipe cards, especially!!

Thanks all and Happy New Year!!! (stay warm!!)