Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Not so well known facts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/not-so-well-known-facts-t155133.html)

Sienna's GiGi 09-23-2011 04:28 AM

Ohio was the first state to enact laws protecting women in 1852. AA was started there (in Akron, my hometown) and the first police cars were used there too. Ohio is also the home state of seven presidents and Akron is/was the rubber capital of the world.
What are some cool but little known facts about where you live or come from?

litacats 09-23-2011 04:54 AM

Clackline is named after the noise that the trains made as they went over the joins in the railway lines.
it is also the place that made the best refractory bricks for the wood fired ovens and kilns In Australia

QuiltnNan 09-23-2011 05:45 AM

Potato chips were invented at a restaurant in my home town near Saratoga New York. A patron was complaining that his fried potatoes were not sliced thin enough... so the chef accommodated him and potato chips were born.

Lori S 09-23-2011 06:00 AM

Contrary to popular belief Chicago got its nick name "the windy city " not because it near a lake and there are some pretty windy days ... but because of the politicians blowing hot air. Things haven't changed much since that nick name was first used. We are about to send the third governor to prison.

litacats 09-23-2011 06:05 AM

my grandfather invented ply wood. he made the machines to strip the wood of the trees and invented a new glue as the old cows hoof glue stained the wood, he also crossed the layers to make it stronger,
during the war my uncle was working for Dunlop and rubber was hard to get as the ships were blown out of the water so he was asked to invent a substitute and he invented plastic. then he found if you put washing up liquid with it you got plasticc foam sin=milar to the foam eskies of today

Airwick156 09-23-2011 06:40 AM

My biological dad invented the dryer for the printing press.

Sienna's GiGi 09-23-2011 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
My biological dad invented the dryer for the printing press.

WoW! That is AWESOME!

Sienna's GiGi 09-23-2011 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by litacats
my grandfather invented ply wood. he made the machines to strip the wood of the trees and invented a new glue as the old cows hoof glue stained the wood, he also crossed the layers to make it stronger,
during the war my uncle was working for Dunlop and rubber was hard to get as the ships were blown out of the water so he was asked to invent a substitute and he invented plastic. then he found if you put washing up liquid with it you got plasticc foam sin=milar to the foam eskies of today

You have a very talented and smart family!

Lacelady 09-23-2011 08:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My village has the smallest Cathedral in Western Europe - sadly not in use now, as its too small for practical use. It has also been both Church of Ireland and Catholic, and it built on the site of a previous one, but the site dates back to pagan times.

thequilterslink 09-23-2011 09:02 AM

Absolutely nothing happened here ever :)