Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   OH HORRORS!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/oh-horrors-t27760.html)

harrishwhippets 10-27-2009 12:26 PM

I have a mouse in the house!!! What good are watch dogs if they let a mouse run right between both of them and let him in the house. OK so maybe they aren't watch dogs per say, they just watch him run by. GEEEEZ, now what. Went to my Walmart and loaded up on traps. Now who's going to check them????? :( :?: :cry:

amma 10-27-2009 12:30 PM

LMBO they could have tore the house up chasing after it :twisted:

I put regular traps in shoe boxes with holes in the ends... I could dump the whole thing in the trash that way :roll: :wink:

Lisanne 10-27-2009 01:33 PM

Make sure those traps are where the dogs won't be able to get at them. They like the same food the mice will go for. Humane traps are nicer. The mouse is trapped inside but not injured and you can dump it outside, far away.

Mice generally don't hurt you. If it can, it'll run away. It would only bite if it thought you were attacking and it couldn't escape.

Put all food somewhere that mice can't get to. I keep my bread in the microwave. Fruit and such, too, or in the fridge. Onions and potatoes go in closed cupboards. Make sure all cupboards are fully closed. Make sure the garbage is in a closed container or in a cupboard. Get rid of food crumbs from the table, counter, stovetop and floor after every meal. Don't leave unwashed dishes out, or even washed wet dishes. Don't leave any water on the counters.

And... rinse the food out of your sponges and squeeze out the water! I had some very talented mice once who rehydrated cheese and chopped onions on my sponges for tastier eating. LOL! I stored my sponges in a can under the sink for a while after that.

harrishwhippets 10-27-2009 01:41 PM

Thanks for the tips Lisanne. Many many years ago when my 1st husband and I lived in the country, we had mice bad. Old house in the country and the mice came in to get out of the cold. I had one in the toaster, luckly did not toast him, he got out. Came out of the oven when we turned it on, even had one in the garbage disposal, that one, not so lucky. We had to get an exterminator. But I left him instead, and the mice. Amma, I'm going to do the shoe box's, was really worried about that. I did by the humane staps and the glue traps, but putting them in shoe box's is the answer. I think if I get one the dogs will sniff it out. So maybe I won't have to worry about that. Thanks much!!!

Ninnie 10-27-2009 01:42 PM

I hate mice!!! I do feel for you, and I'm sure my dog would just watch it also, He is worthless as a watch dog :lol: :lol: :lol: And I could never empty a trap :shock: :shock: I think amma has the right idea!

Shemjo 10-27-2009 03:22 PM

I have cats who play with mice until there is nothing left but parts. My dogs don't seem to pay any attention to mice! I do like the idea of traps in shoe boxes for easy disposal!

motomom 10-27-2009 03:29 PM

Ewww. Mice are so destructive, and they seem to love to eat embroidery cotton. I lost a beautiful hand-smocked baby dress that my girls had worn that way. I hate mice.

Up North 10-27-2009 04:40 PM

Those glue traps are inhumane!!! their little feet stick and they squeal but it doesn't kill them and you can't get them off to let them go!! Ask me how I know that?! It is not so bad to empty a mouse trap!. I live in a trailer and we get them in the fall too. I have traps that you pinch one end to set them and the same to get him out. Take him and let him go and he WILL come back.

harrishwhippets 10-27-2009 04:51 PM

Oh no, I don't want to torture the little guy, I just want him gone. I wonder now if he wasn't trying to get away from a snake. Seems odd that he would run past two dogs, one human unless something worse was behind him. I'm taking up the glue traps and just using the tunnel traps and I will let him go down the street if I catch him so he can go into someones elses house. :roll:

littlehud 10-27-2009 05:09 PM

I hate mice. We don't have a problem here with my kitties. They keep them away.