Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Once a retriever, always a retriever.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/once-retriever-always-retriever-t162548.html)

Pzazz 10-23-2011 05:45 AM

We have a rescue Golden Retriever. He didn't pass muster with the breeder as he is gun shy. His loss, our gain.

This morning, as we were having our coffee, a bird flew into our picture window. Shortly after, my DH noticed that the dog had "something" in his mouth. Yes, he retrieved the bird. As we watched, he dropped it, and caught it between his paws. Such entertainment!!! He was trained to hold, not kill. The bird was stunned from hitting the window, but not dead. Such a play of emotions crossing the dog's face!! He didn't quite know what to do with it....birds are supposed to be dead when you retrieve them...not try to get away!!! So...since it wasn't dead, it must be a play toy!! When we watch him at times like this, we are always amazed how gentle he is.

Happy ending...the bird did finally get away.

Patti

frauhahn 10-23-2011 05:48 AM

Glad to hear the bird survived all of the trauma! Amazing what soft mouths retrievers have.

QuiltE 10-23-2011 05:49 AM

Love Retrievers!!

My sister got a Chocolate Lab for the same reasons ... didn't pass the tests! They finally figured out what was wrong ..... he knew what to do to retrieve and would set off and get it, then would forget to come back! Not a good thing when you're out in the middle of no where and hunting ... and your dog disappears!!

Other than that, he was the best! :)

jrhboxers 10-23-2011 06:03 AM

It amazes me how the in-bred traits of dogs come through. Even if they have never been expected or tried to be used.

QuiltingKrazy 10-23-2011 06:14 AM

Gotta love those retreivers! I swear by labs being the best dogs. They are naturally protective and best companions.
We have a chocolate one now.

3incollege 10-23-2011 06:36 AM

love retrievers,labs any big dog. great story.

MawMaw B 10-23-2011 06:40 AM

We had a golden for 14 years. She was a wonderful dog. We've got an elem. school principal in our town that brings hers to school to reward classes with weekly perfect attendance. A very loving breed.

Rhonda 10-23-2011 06:47 AM

We have a German Short haired pointer. I have to laugh at her because when she wants me to get her treats or anything she points. She does a perfect point and will stand there for hours if you don't get it for her right away. She also was bought as a hunting dog but we never trained her for that. She hates the rain. Imagine a bird dog that won't go out in the rain!! LOL I have to throw her out the door to get her to do her business if it is raining out. But we love her! She is a great kids dog! She lets the baby bite and pull her ears and never says a thing. She soaks up the attention they give her.

Her true calling does show through from time to time. She has caught and killed birds in our back yard. I draw the line at bringing them in the house tho.

CanoePam 10-23-2011 08:06 AM

I have a dog that is half golden retriever. She has a huge retrieving instinct and an incredibly soft mouth. When we get home so runs in to her "toy box" and bring us one of the soft toys we store there. She wants us to know she can bring us goodies, and she won't hardly leave us alone until we praise her for her good retrieve. She has had some of the same soft toys for over 3 years! They finally just kind of rot away, but they are never torn or chewed. Mild temperment, and a generally lovely, kind dog.

Pam

carhop 10-23-2011 08:12 AM

I had a springer spaniel and he would hunt with any one and would not eat meat unless it was cooked. My neighbor was a butcher and would bring him a large bone he would take it very gingerly and lay it at my feet so I had to vook it for hin