Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   One of those days (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/one-those-days-t191734.html)

sassey 06-14-2012 06:37 AM

One of those days

Yesterday was one of those days my machine was really acting up or perhaps it was all operator error. First off had so much trouble cutting dresdens with my rotery cutter I ended up tracing and cutting with scissors I believe this is operator error as I always have trouble with rotory cutter but yesterday I tried all 4 of my cutters and just couldnt cut, one was brand new and one I changed the blade on still no luck. I think it might be lack of strength in my hands and arms so used my spring loaded scissors it took me forever to get it all cut. Well on to sewing first seam looked good but when I looked futher only the top was sewen bobin didnt sew at all redid that more problems sewing was a mess top thread jumped out of one of the threading holes re threaded sewed some more got a couple of the blades sewen and bobin thread broke it went like that all morning I dont know how many times I had to rethread my machine even tried new thread. Took a break and went back to sewing only for all my problems to repeat themselves I spent around 5 hours in my sewing room I got the blades for 1 dresden sewed and 4 sets of 5 blades sewen. Hope to have better luck today, i am trying to make patriotic table runners for my two girls If anyone has any suggestions as to why the thread keeps jumping out of the threading hole I would appreciate knowing.

alwayslearning 06-14-2012 06:50 AM

How long since you cleaned your machine? Some times my machine just seems to enjoy having some fussing done over it, just some time with the operator and no fabric. If that does not work I leave it alone for a while. I know when I get frustrated, as you must have been, I am more likely to wound myself or the fabric. When I only have a limited time to sew, that is hard, but in the long run safer and cheaper for me. Hope your next session is more successful!

Abby'smom 06-15-2012 09:03 AM

We all seem to have days like that -- keep at it!

sharon b 06-15-2012 09:07 AM

Have you tried a new needle and wind a new bobbin - sometimes machines just get cranky - mine has been temperamental lately so I just keep going figure it will realize who is the boss LOL

Stitchit123 06-16-2012 05:28 AM

My youngest machine was giving me hissy fits the other day ago and after a couple hours of that I took a break and lo and behold it was operator error- I had been threading the bobbin backwards into the shuttle.Needless to say I spent the rest of the day apologizing to my poor baby.

tobyjenkins 06-16-2012 10:28 AM

Thread problems

I have had the problem before where it seems that the thread does not stay threaded properly, and it has caused much frustration for me in the past. When I finally learned what the problem was, I felt so relieved. To fix my problem, I would unthread my machine, make sure that the presser foot it in the "up" position and re-thread the machine. It works every time for me. Even now that I know how it should be done, I sometimes get in such a hurry to thread the machine that I forget to put the presser foot up, but I find out rather quickly that I have done it wrong. If this is not the problem with your machine, I would suggest a thorough cleaning in the thread take-up area to make sure no threads are caught in there.

sassey 06-17-2012 08:38 AM

I have been careful to make sure I put it up I guess I might need to really clean machine Thanks everyone for your advise