Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Paypal fees on Personal 'gift' option (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/paypal-fees-personal-gift-option-t131946.html)

jdiane318 06-20-2011 03:47 PM

I just completed a transaction with a board member and tried to 'gift' the money. When it came time to send the payment, there was a box that popped up and asked if I wanted to pay the 'x' amount of money that was the transaction fee. I went back and resent the payment through the 'purchase' option. I use paypal a lot but it just goes to show that nothing is sacred. I didn't know or find out till this transaction this evening.

MellieKQuilter 06-20-2011 03:49 PM

I have had that happen as well... Not sure if it makes a difference if you have a bank account linked? I thought it said something about being verified...

MTS 06-20-2011 03:52 PM

But if you really were sending money as a true gift (and feel free to try out the option with me :mrgreen: ), would you want the recipient to pay the transaction fee?

If it's a purchase, then the seller should absolutely pay it - it's a cost of doing business.

But depending on the purpose of the transfer of cash, PayPal is just giving you the option to choose, as not all transactions are equal.

I don't think there's anything nefarious about it. ;-)

Shall I PM my PayPal address now so you can begin the gifting??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
You may pass on the transaction fee to me.
Just to see how that works.

jdiane318 06-20-2011 03:59 PM

As a 'seller' I prefer paypal just for the safety and convenience it offers. I haven't asked anyone to 'gift' the money for a transaction. I prefer to print my labels through the transactions for the time savings and ease of printing a legible label. The fees charged by paypal are the price of doing business and I am fine with that. I just was surprised at how it seemed as paypal was involved in all transactions. I am not complaining per se, just had this happen and was caught off guard and wondered if anyone else had this happen.

Sadiemae 06-20-2011 06:30 PM

I thought if you "gifted" the money you would lose certain protections, but I may have misunderstood.
Wouldn't be the first time...

bearisgray 06-20-2011 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I thought if you "gifted" the money you would lose certain protections, but I may have misunderstood.
Wouldn't be the first time...

I think you are correct.

sueisallaboutquilts 06-20-2011 06:39 PM

MTS, you crack me up!! hahaha
Are you taking up a collection??? :D:D

Sadiemae, you and me both. I never seem to get the rules straight! :D

fidgety 06-20-2011 07:01 PM

it will do this if you use a credit card for payment. I have not had it happen when it is a direct pay from my bank account tho..

qbquilts 06-20-2011 07:08 PM

Technically you weren't gifting the money anyway - you were making a purchase.

bearisgray 06-21-2011 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by qbquilts
Technically you weren't gifting the money anyway - you were making a purchase.

But if one "says" one is giving a gift - then it is unreasonable to expect PayPal to protect one if the "giftee" does not produce something in exchange.