Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   PC or Mac? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/pc-mac-t62564.html)

Slow2Sew 09-01-2010 12:39 PM

Which do you prefer? Have you used both and why do you chose one over the other?

Jim's Gem 09-01-2010 12:49 PM

PC
I find it hard to find as many programs and games and such for use on Mac's in my area.

virtualbernie 09-01-2010 12:51 PM

I think pc's are cheaper and it seems more folks have pc's. More people to answer questions if you get stuck.

oatw13 09-01-2010 01:02 PM

I have and use both but my computer of choice is the Mac, hands down.

First, I do not have to worry about all the cables to connect a monitor, speakers, etc, as it is all one unit. I don't have to worry about having access to the CPU, again, it is all one unit - there is no bulky CPU.

I haven't had an issue with finding software. In fact, I can find pretty much identical or the exact same software for my Mac that I have on my PC, with only one or two exceptions. I use mine for word processing, internet, digital photography, making and editing videos, making DVD's, CD's, listening to music, watching TV shows and movies, photo editing, gaming, and the list goes on. I love it! In fact, our family has become a mostly Mac family, although we still have PC's. I bought my iMac about 3 years ago and it is still relevant and still going strong, whereas I burn through PC's in about 12-18 months. (Meaning, the PC is no longer able to support my needs and I buy top of the line PC's.) I am a very heavy user.

That being said, you will spend more money on a Mac. In my opinion, it is well worth it. You may need to replace your software, such as Microsoft Office. You may need to re-learn how to perform some functions, but it is pretty simple to switch. Even my 60-something year old parents were able to switch easily. You may want to upgrade to a wireless keyboard and mouse. These are not cheap.

Did I mention that you don't have the computer virus issues with Macs? And, there are many great online forums (including on Apple.com!) where you can go for help if you should need it. And, all of their applications are set up to run with the same basic commands, so you only have to learn the basics once.

My next computer will be another iMac. But, if this is the route you choose, be prepared to pay for it. And, invest in Apple Care, it is well worth the cost.

jlong 09-01-2010 01:06 PM

Son's Mac wins every time

sueisallaboutquilts 09-01-2010 01:10 PM

The only reason I don't have a Mac is b/c I learned on a PC.
Macs are far better!!!

virtualbernie 09-01-2010 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by oatw13
I have and use both but my computer of choice is the Mac, hands down.

First, I do not have to worry about all the cables to connect a monitor, speakers, etc, as it is all one unit. I don't have to worry about having access to the CPU, again, it is all one unit - there is no bulky CPU.

I haven't had an issue with finding software. In fact, I can find pretty much identical or the exact same software for my Mac that I have on my PC, with only one or two exceptions. I use mine for word processing, internet, digital photography, making and editing videos, making DVD's, CD's, listening to music, watching TV shows and movies, photo editing, gaming, and the list goes on. I love it! In fact, our family has become a mostly Mac family, although we still have PC's. I bought my iMac about 3 years ago and it is still relevant and still going strong, whereas I burn through PC's in about 12-18 months. (Meaning, the PC is no longer able to support my needs and I buy top of the line PC's.) I am a very heavy user.

That being said, you will spend more money on a Mac. In my opinion, it is well worth it. You may need to replace your software, such as Microsoft Office. You may need to re-learn how to perform some functions, but it is pretty simple to switch. Even my 60-something year old parents were able to switch easily. You may want to upgrade to a wireless keyboard and mouse. These are not cheap.

Did I mention that you don't have the computer virus issues with Macs? And, there are many great online forums (including on Apple.com!) where you can go for help if you should need it. And, all of their applications are set up to run with the same basic commands, so you only have to learn the basics once.

My next computer will be another iMac. But, if this is the route you choose, be prepared to pay for it. And, invest in Apple Care, it is well worth the cost.

I have a HP touchSmart and it's all in one. I always wondered why PC's always got viruses and Macs didn't...hummmm...is it because the Mac hackers are trying to kill the pc's? :lol:

gollytwo 09-01-2010 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
The only reason I don't have a Mac is b/c I learned on a PC.
Macs are far better!!!

me too, but when my Dell goes I'll get a Mac.
I have a few PC quilting program on the Dell, but since I never use them it won't matter.

sueisallaboutquilts 09-01-2010 01:43 PM

Gollytwo: I should learn how to use a Mac. I've been so busy learning new cell phones, ipods (I have 3 lol) and everything else that I can't picture learning how to use a Mac! I have an ebay business too. But I really should :D
My son, among many people I know won't use anything else.
They never have the problems PC users have.

gollytwo 09-01-2010 02:00 PM

Sue - it's my son too who's a Mac fanatic.
My first computer was a Mac - but I didn't know how to do anything other than e-mail and reading stuff on the Web.
I watch my son use his - it's awesome what it does - but, you're right, a whole new learning curve.