Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   PDF Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/pdf-question-t198168.html)

grocifer 08-20-2012 09:23 AM

PDF Question

I should have asked this a long time ago -- I often make pdf's out of the tutorials or blogs I want to save. Will these always be available in my files even when the person takes the information off the internet? Hope I am able to save them for posterity and not just wasting my time.

Jan in VA 08-20-2012 09:26 AM

If you download it and save to your personal computer files it will be there.

I'm wondering why you make them into a pdf. format if you don't receive them that way?

Jan in VA

alleyoop1 08-20-2012 10:36 AM

When you convert a file to .pdf the recipient can't make changes in the file.

Ginaky 08-20-2012 03:18 PM

PDF's generally are smaller files, also.

willferg 08-21-2012 06:55 AM

On my Mac, I can print to a pdf...so if I see a tutorial I like, rather than print out several pages, I can print it into a pdf to refer to later, saving paper and toner.

grocifer 08-21-2012 07:20 AM

Jan -- I thought I was saving space on my computer so I don't run out of memory or whatever. I'm definitely a dim bulb where computers are concerned. Guess I rarely make any changes in them and they are only for my own use.

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5454374)
If you download it and save to your personal computer files it will be there.

I'm wondering why you make them into a pdf. format if you don't receive them that way?

Jan in VA

selm 08-21-2012 04:23 PM

Many online files let you download the instructions in pdf format. If they don't and ;you "save as" it will save it as a 'mht' format which is actually a link back to the original web page. If that page is taken down later you will not be able to access it again. I learned to 'cut and paste' instructions into a word document and save it on my computer that way.
this way also allows me to make pictures smaller(most web pictures are too large) and change fonts, etc. A bit labor intensive but easier than saving links that disappear.

How do you"make a pdf" out of tutorials or blogs? These are some of the ones I cut and paste. I'd love to make a pdf and be done with it.

grocifer 08-22-2012 06:05 AM

Sally -- I use "PDFmyURL.com", a free program to turn the blogs and tutorials into pdf's. If I do want to make changes or only use part of the information, I use the copy and paste process. I used to print everything out but all those pages really fill up a notebook in a hurry. It's so much easier to find things later when filed in my folders on the computer. Just don't want to ever lose all that good info........

selm 08-24-2012 06:51 AM

Thanks grocifer for the link to the free program. What a find.
I agree with keeping things on the computer. Paper just fills up space and is harder to go through looking for things.
I have a file of old (and I mean old) magazine instructions and have slowly been scanning them into my computer as pdf files. Now, I only have to print something if I'm going to make it.

Thanks again for the information on PDF my URl.