Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   phone service still out (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/phone-service-still-out-t58250.html)

nativetexan 08-07-2010 08:22 AM

grrr Com Cast isn't coming till Sunday. my portables don't work even though i got a dial tone when i put in new batteries. i'm so tired of chatting with them.
i called A t & t where i used to have my phone service and they said i can't keep the same number.i hung up!
sigh.i'm not happy.
anyone have this type problem?

donnajean 08-07-2010 08:32 AM

Is Comcast your "wired" service or a Internet phone service. If it is a wired service, you should have a box outside where the line connects to your house. I have Verizon. When there is a problem with phone service, I have to take a "wired" phone outside, open that box, connect the phone in the jack there. If I get a dial tone there, the problem is in my house.

Disconnet all your phones & then connect just one at a time to see if 1 phone has a problem.

The way my house was wired inside is called piggy back. If just one connection is bad, I lose all of the phones. I learned this when the painter sprayed water into an outlet when removing wallpaper. I did not know until he left that I had no phone service. I replaced that jack & got my service back without having to pay Verizon.

nativetexan 08-07-2010 08:36 AM

com cast took over from quest service, no box that i know of
i'm changing back to quest right now!

donnajean 08-07-2010 08:39 AM

Does comcast have a website with some troubleshooting hints?

Originally Posted by nativetexan
com cast took over from quest service, no box that i know of
i'm changing back to quest right now!

nativetexan 08-07-2010 08:45 AM

they aren't very helpful. i had to get my modem and read the back. it's tight to get to and black on black is hard to read. that went on and on. i chatted online

donnajean 08-07-2010 08:53 AM

So this is a phone service coming though you "cable" line & not a wire to your house? Most of my neighbors have this kind of service & I hate it. When we have a power failure, I'm the only one that has phone service on their house phone. Then, if I call them on their cell phone no.'s, it's usually a toll call for me.

I have Comcast for cable TV. I've learned that whenever there is a problem, unplug everything, wait 60 seconds & then plug it back in again. That usaually fixes TV issues.

My friend in Pgh, PA has Comcast & they are at his house about every week. I talk to him through Skype. Last week the Comcast guy was sitting there having a beer while waiting to see if he resolved anything with their service.

they aren't very helpful. i had to get my modem and read the back. it's tight to get to and black on black is hard to read. that went on and on. i chatted online

amandasgramma 08-07-2010 08:54 AM

I had one phone that caused those problems. We eliminated that phone and everything worked. Good luck!

nativetexan 08-07-2010 09:00 AM

well quest must have done something good or com cast did ,which i doubt. my phones are now working. the new land line one didn't work down here for some reason but the old one is doing fine. i took the new land line upstairs and put it in the kitchen where i had one before.
so i'm happy. not to cancel the work order for Sunday!
thanks all.

littlehud 08-07-2010 06:03 PM

I'm glad you got your phones back. What a hassle.

craftybear 08-07-2010 10:17 PM

glad you figured it out

well quest must have done something good or com cast did ,which i doubt. my phones are now working. the new land line one didn't work down here for some reason but the old one is doing fine. i took the new land line upstairs and put it in the kitchen where i had one before.
so i'm happy. not to cancel the work order for Sunday!
thanks all.