Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Pics of an afternoon in Louisville (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/pics-afternoon-louisville-t26446.html)

amma 10-03-2009 09:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I went to Cave Hill Cemetery here in Louisville, Kentucky. When you drive in it is a park like setting, over a half mile of beautiful trees and grounds. there are hundreds of varieties of trees and probably as many flowers, grasses and shrubbery. I have been there twice now 2 to 2 1/2 hours each time and have not even seen half of it yet. People come here in tour groups, for picnics, daily walks while on their lunch breaks..it is breathtakingly beautiful.
I was talking to one family who have members buried there going back to the civil war, they showed me the area reserved for those who died in that war and for other's who had supported the war in other ways. It looks like a miniature of Arlington Cemetery.
The statuettes are all amazing, not only in style but in size...the trees are allowed to grow up and around them... The historical society is working on restoring some also, that weather has slowly etched away. I am not sure how many acres there are...but you could walk there for days and still miss parts of it.

Here are just a few of the many pictures I have taken there.

Driving into the cemetery
[ATTACH=CONFIG]50542[/ATTACH]

I have seen this Ginko Tree on PBS shows and they said it was the oldest ginko tree in the USA
[ATTACH=CONFIG]51462[/ATTACH]

amma 10-03-2009 10:00 AM

3 Attachment(s)
There are many water features throughout the whole cemetery, the grounds all slope down and they have done a wonderful job of using that to their advantage.

amma 10-03-2009 10:02 AM

3 Attachment(s)
More of the water features and a magnolia tree budding...maybe someone can tell me is this a seed pod or just a fall blooming variety?

amma 10-03-2009 10:05 AM

3 Attachment(s)
more water features

Lisanne 10-03-2009 10:07 AM

My, those are awfully pretty! It felt peaceful just looking at them. #5 (4th pic down) was my favorite.

amma 10-03-2009 10:08 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Just a few of the memorials and mausoleums
Some of the mausoleums are built right into the hillsides

This is a memorial marker not a mauseleum
[ATTACH=CONFIG]50504[/ATTACH]

amma 10-03-2009 10:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This is the area that reminded me of Arlington and a picture of the office building

amma 10-03-2009 10:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This memorial has also been on several PBS shows. It was erected for a couple who are laid to rest here.
When I stood at the base of the statue, I only came up to her knees, just to give you an idea of it's size

amma 10-03-2009 10:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Close ups of the detail on the columns and the ceiling.

amma 10-03-2009 10:18 AM

I don't usually visit cemetery's, but having seen shows featuring this one I put it on my list. It is very peaceful, historic, and I just stood in awe at all of the beauty and artistic work, both man made and by nature. I can fully understand why so many visit there every day...