Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Postage considerations (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/postage-considerations-t88117.html)

emsgranny 01-06-2011 09:56 AM

I realize that postage rates have gone up and many members seem to be hesitant to order because of it. Please take into consideration a few things before you make a rash judgement that postage is too high...
The cost of gas is now roughly 3.00/gallon~how far away is your nearest store to buy fabric. Are you able to get out or do you even want too (especially in winter time) I like convenience of having items/fabrics delivered to me right to my front door!!! Dont have to spend money on gas,get out if weather is bad and enjoy the thought of maybe helping someone out financially here on the board. Just a thought to ponder Thanks cheryl :-D

Sadiemae 01-06-2011 09:59 AM

I don't buy because I can't afford it, not because of postage.

plainjane 01-06-2011 10:13 AM

I have ordered online for the last 5 years. I had been ill and couldn't get out as much. I only have a Hobby Lobby here and I love my good supplies. Last night, at my leisure, I ordered from Commecting Threads-free shipping and Nancy's Notions-$2.98 shipping. You just can't beat it!

PegD 01-06-2011 10:14 AM

I don't buy (although very tempted at all the wonderful fabrics) because, I should be the one selling yard after yard of fabric.

cjomomma 01-06-2011 10:36 AM

The only reason I'm not buying is because I don't have the money. Now come tax time and that will change.

patricej 01-06-2011 10:59 AM

i don't enjoy paying more for anything, so naturally make a face at higher postage.

however, when i switch on the brain cells, i realize that it's still a good deal. less than 50 cents gets a letter waaaaaaaaaaay across the country. free pickup. free delivery, 6 days a week. :-)

bakermom 01-06-2011 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i don't enjoy paying more for anything, so naturally make a face at higher postage.

however, when i switch on the brain cells, i realize that it's still a good deal. less than 50 cents gets a letter waaaaaaaaaaay across the country. free pickup. free delivery, 6 days a week. :-)

We really do get a lot of mileage out of our postage. I grumble too, but really it's just a penny or two at a time. when i think of what i stuff in box to send "care packages" to my out-of town kids-yeah i get a good deal!

brushandthimble 01-06-2011 01:05 PM

I just ordered from Canada and yes the postage was high, but combined with the price of the Aurtil threads is was still a good buy.

debbieumphress 01-06-2011 01:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Postage went up a bit but not much. I also found I can ship two boxes of the large priority in a regular parcel and 16.00 compared to two boxes at 15.70. SO I check all the time. Parcels get there just as fast. So the sellers just have to figure best way and it's not easy. I see on here people sell for as much as the LQS plus add postage. Nope, if it is 2.00/yd and can ship for 4.95 for 5-6 yards, thats a deal. So we all will have to use our best judgements when we buy. Can we get it local for less? This is how I decide what to buy on the board. LOL

bakermom 01-06-2011 03:49 PM

i've actually unpacked my box and repackaged it when i find it can go cheaper a different way. our P.O has an automated stand that I use to check weight and cost before I commit. The clerks will go in back and find the right size carton for me, too, when i can do better parcel post. sometimes flat rate is better but not always.