Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   problems with printer (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/problems-printer-t28149.html)

Dora 11-03-2009 09:11 PM

hello everyone i was trying to print up one of the tutorials and my printer keeps jaming the paper it just stated the right side dose not seem to be catching the paper do any of you know anything about printers and can help me figure it out please
Thanks Dora

littlehud 11-03-2009 09:21 PM

I can't help at all. The last printer that gave me problems got thrown away and replaced by the one I have now.

Sandy1951 11-03-2009 09:45 PM

Dora,

You might be able to download a manual for your particular printer that shows you how to troubleshoot for problems like this. I've done that with printers before. I just google the brand and model number, go to the manufacturer's site, then look for the model number and find out if there's a manual available or FAQ for problems. I've often found the answer and been able to fix my printers myself.

Having said that, I'm also having trouble with mine. It's an HP LaserJet 1012 and it isn't printing right. The printing is very faint on about a third of the page. Normally I would think it was low on toner, but it shouldn't be. Also, when the toner gets low, I take the cartridge out and shake it and can usually get about three more months of printing out of it by doing that occasionally. However, this time it's not helping, which makes me think there's something else wrong. I've looked everywhere and can't figure it out. So frustrating! I guess I'll have to break down and buy new toner and see if that is the problem after all. I don't think it is, though, but I've got to do something. I hate not being able to print.

Anyway, good luck with yours!

Dora 11-03-2009 10:08 PM

thank you i will try this and see if i can find a manual
Dora

Moonpi 11-04-2009 12:09 AM

Go step by step in the order the paper feeds. Since the right side is not moving, take a toothpick or an old paint brush and flick out any bits of paper that are getting wedged in there, then run a print test. Also, if it has been humid, turn the paper over. It sounds like a simple jam, and some printers even have instruction diagrams embossed in the plastic case. Remember, paper rollers are designed to only operate in one direction. If you yank paper back out as it is feeding, you run the risk of damaging the little plastic grabbers that make it feed evenly.

Most printers install a troubleshooting guide as part of the standard installation. Look under your program files for the company that made your printer, and open the folder. Troubleshooting software may be there.

What version of Windows are you using, and what kind of printer is it? As printers age, the rollers wear out - how handy are you at following diagrams to change one out? When pricing out parts, remember Christmas sales are coming up, and you can probably get a decent inkjet for $50.

amandasgramma 11-04-2009 06:09 AM

I'm with moonpie, sounds like a piece of paper may be stuck in the rollers. We had a printer when I was working that was VERY picky about extra bits of paper.........and it also liked to chew up corners -- causing it's own problems. Open all "hatches" and inspect closely. You can usually tell where the problem in the rollers are by where it jams. Good luck!

Dora 11-04-2009 09:07 AM

Thanks everyone got all the information and will let you all know how it goses later this even thanks to everyone for your help
HUGS Dora