Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   The Quake... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/quake-t147420.html)

Momma_K 08-23-2011 06:46 PM

Anyone feel the Quake today??!! Are you ok??!! How can the people on the west coast get use to this!! I hope and pray everyone is fine and no real damage....BIG HUGS TO ALL...

varacefan 08-23-2011 07:04 PM

I live near Virginia Beach, VA and I felt it! I didn't know what it was at first - I thought one of my daughters was crawling around behind my chair and joggling it!....Then I saw the water in the glass on the table shaking. :-)

hannajo 08-23-2011 07:08 PM

I agree! I'll take driving through a blizzard any day over what I felt today. I really felt like my building was collapsing.

Best wishes to everyone!

Jan in VA 08-23-2011 07:31 PM

Well, I was in the radiology department at the big hospital, xrays had been taken, I was sitting on the edge of the huge xray table in my 2 hospital gowns with *nothing else at all* underneath, chatting with the lovely techs, waiting for the "torturer" with the needle to arrive.

I felt that quake, shot off that table like I'd never had a hip pain in my life, grabbed up my purse and ran to stand in the doorframe!! When I saw all the staff swarming out into the corridor, I said "Momma knows to stand in the doorframe during an earthquake, don't you guys?!"

They looked at me and many stepped back into doors, but they all said "Was it an earthquake? Really?" We quickly found out it was from a supervisor who had been on a conference call with people in Richmond, VA. The building shook and the phones/computers are gaflooey while I was there but we were able to reach my aunt by phone before the cell towers went nuts.

Came home to my little cottage to learn the neighbor had been outside, and felt it, saw utility poles sway, her flag on the house wave, her flower pots clatter, but she said all the animals -- cows, horses, dogs, cats -- seemed oblivious. I did find a couple of things had shifted slightly in the cottage and some mortar on the outside (unused) chimney popped out of the bricks. So, all and all here in Lynchburg and Bedford we seem to be okay, very minor damage, no injuries.

Jan in VA

hannajo 08-23-2011 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
I felt that quake, shot off that table like I'd never had a hip pain in my life, grabbed up my purse and ran to stand in the doorframe!! When I saw all the staff swarming out into the corridor, I said "Momma knows to stand in the doorframe during an earthquake, don't you guys?!"

They looked at me and many stepped back into doors, but they all said "Was it an earthquake? Really?"
Jan in VA

This was pretty much my reaction. There was at least a half-dozen things I thought it could be before I accepted it was an actual earth quake. I'm glad you're alright, Jan!

nursie76 08-23-2011 07:47 PM

Wow! I didn't feel it, as I was in the car driving, but many of my friends did here in PA. My DBIL was in a 10 story building in Baltimore, MD and was evacuated. Couldn't get home for a while as his car was parked in the basement parking garage and wasn't allowed back in to get it! Hope everyone effected is ok. Man! When I felt the quake in New Zealand, I said, "I'm going back to PA! We don't do this there..." Well, I guess everyone had to be wrong once in a while! Yikes!

gaby4v 08-23-2011 08:36 PM

Hope everybody in VA and surrounding areas are okay.
I got used to earthquakes now, after living in Japan for 22 months. Just part of living here.

DebsShelties 08-23-2011 09:39 PM

The safest place in an Earthquake is OUTSIDE in the open where things can't fall on top of you! Especially if you are near the center and buildings are coming down.
A doorway or under a table is for tornados.
I used to live in San Diego, we had Earthquakes a lot. Everyone knew what to do when they happened.
Table or a doorway are not going to protect you if the structure comes down.

Willa 08-23-2011 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by DebsShelties
The safest place in an Earthquake is OUTSIDE in the open where things can't fall on top of you! Especially if you are near the center and buildings are coming down.
A doorway or under a table is for tornados.
I used to live in San Diego, we had Earthquakes a lot. Everyone knew what to do when they happened.
Table or a doorway are not going to protect you if the structure comes down.

I grew up in the middle of the US and for an earthquake it was always taught doorway or heavy furniture such as a table (not that we ever needed to even though we were on the largest fault line in the US). For a tornado you get as low as you can such as a basement (best) or a room with no windows if you don't have a basement. I've seen houses where only the floor and the basement stairs were left, the house was a couple miles down the road.

azdesertrat 08-24-2011 03:21 AM

I remember in california back in the late 60's when i was in grade school,we would have earthquake drills.and I kid you not we had to get under our desks for the entire time of the drill.Fire drills of course we went outside.I'll never forget it,even though i was in the fourth grade,that didnt make sense to me