Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Question about curtains (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/question-about-curtains-t220392.html)

sew.annie 04-30-2013 12:58 PM

Question about curtains

1 Attachment(s)
I want to make some new curtains for my kitchen I have attached a picture of what I want....my question is how far apart do I put the tabs and how much wider than the window do I make these curtains....have looked and can't find a pattern to give me these answers....

Jingle 04-30-2013 01:06 PM

I don't know the answers. I think I would like the tabs on the back. Just my opinion.

MamaBear61 04-30-2013 01:10 PM

It is my guess that the valance is 1.5 - 2.0 times the width of the window. Fuller curtains are usually 2-3 times the width of your window. As for tab placement I just distribute them evenly across the width of your valance (width of valance, minus total width of your tabs and valance edge, divided by number of spaces between tabs).

If your window is 30 inches your valance is 60 inches (2X for ease of calculation) minus 6 tabs @ 2" finished (60-12=48) minus 1.5" edge on each end (48-3=45) divided by 5 spaces (45/5+=9) 9" spacing between your finished tabs

You will need to add for any seaming and hemming that is needed. These are all just approx. numbers but hopefully you get the idea.

Hope this is helpful.

charsuewilson 04-30-2013 02:12 PM

I always did 2 x the width of the space to be covered plus hems. You can get by with 1.5x the width to be covered if necessary.

The tabs in your photo look further apart than the tucks made at the top of curtains, but I suppose that they might be the same distance as the tucks to hang the curtains since there are no tucks at the top of these photos. On my drapes, the hangers are every 7 inches. I would think that an inch or so either way would probably work.

Tartan 04-30-2013 02:15 PM

Do you see how the inside bump of the valance just rests against the wall? You want the tabs close enough that you get nice inward bump but not so much that it bunches up too much fabric. I would make my tabs and pin them along the valance to get a nice look.

Ioftheneedle 04-30-2013 02:21 PM

I agree with the advise above unless you like the visual of the tabbs for decoration. As an example I sometimes think a lace curtain is prettier with less width so you can see the pattern.

KathyM 05-01-2013 03:13 AM

This type of topper is only 1.5 the width or you won't get the look. Pin the tabs on, put on rod to see how you like the look, then sew down.

tessagin 05-01-2013 06:39 AM

I would go to Nancy's Notions. She should have something. First time I've seen tabs on front, unless they were on top. Usually, on top or in back.

JanieH 05-01-2013 07:06 AM

I just wanted to comment that I really like the look of the valence, using the tabs as part of the design element. A very different but interesting look and one I definitely want to save in my "Someday" scrapbook. Thanks for sharing!

sharin'Sharon 05-01-2013 07:12 AM

I like the look of the tabs on the front. It's attractive looking to me. I agree on the 1.5x the width of the window or else those 'bumps' against the back will be too bulky and won't lay as nicely. Good luck.