Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Question on heated rice bags....... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/question-heated-rice-bags-t143701.html)

1234Irene 08-08-2011 05:37 PM

I seen on a topic of different ideas to make for gifts or sell, and someone posted rice bags would be a good seller.......so I whooped one up, only to discover that I had no rice. I researched it a bit more and found that they could be made from any dry good item........how about using barley in them. Would that work?

NikkiLu 08-08-2011 05:46 PM

Mine has dried corn in it - smells divine when heated up in the microwave. You could probably do a search on here and find that almost anything can be used in them. I think I have seen dried beans in them too.

You can get the dried corn at a cattle/animal feed store. Make sure that it is clean though.

amyjo 08-08-2011 05:52 PM

yes clean barley works. I have used that and wheat and corn. I also tried some soybeans but they didn't last too long.

dakotamaid 08-08-2011 05:58 PM

Giggle, giggle, Nikkilu, don't heat it in the MW, you might hear the corn popping!!! LOL.

Honestly, though, I might have to try this. thanks for all the tips!

clynns 08-08-2011 07:00 PM

Corn must be 'feed corn' not regular dried corn on the cob. Rice must be long grain uncooked rice. Not Minute Rice. Corn bags when heated should not be heated longer than 2 minutes. Also, to prevent burns, wrap in dish cloth.

1234Irene 08-08-2011 07:06 PM

Thanks for the tips.......I like the idea of using rice with the scented oils, but not sure how that would effect my mw when heating it......thanks for helping me out. I had found a tutee for making them and was quite easy.

luvTooQuilt 08-08-2011 07:07 PM

I have quite a few - different sizes- that my late MIL made.. I think she used rice in hers.. I absolutely LOVE them.. I use the biggest one to keep me toasty warm in bed in chilly nites....

Mariposa 08-08-2011 07:27 PM

I have used rice, flax seed, and feed corn in them. The corn seems to hold the heat longer than the rice. I heat it for 2.5 minutes.

jaciqltznok 08-08-2011 08:28 PM

Just remember those made with FOOD in them, can not only harbor bacteria, they are bug/rodent attractors as well.

For those that do NOT have nut allergies, the crushed walnut litter and corn cob litter mixed half/half is really good...or mix in some buckwheat hulls so it is not so heavy!

When not in use, keep it stored in a tin can to keep pests away!

tms 08-08-2011 08:30 PM

I made mine with flax seed. Lasts a long time, is not expensive, does not attract insects, and smells good when heated. You can also add things like lavender and mint for different aromas.
Besides being heated in the M/W for warm, moist heat; I have one in my freezer for a cold, flexable compress.