Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Quilter's pain (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/quilters-pain-t56830.html)

BKrenning 07-29-2010 03:28 PM

I'd be watching your local newspapers, ebay & nearby garage sales for someone selling the items your neighbor just lost. No one risks stealing something that they haven't figured out a way to get cash for quickly. Last I checked, pawn shops weren't taking quilting stuff so my guess is rummage sale or ebay. I hope the police catch them. I despise thieves more than cockroaches!

tolepainter54 07-29-2010 04:31 PM

Gosh darn it! People who steal just make me mad. I am so sorry for your neighbor.

beachlady 07-29-2010 04:51 PM

Quilting supplies and sewing machines? Seems to be odd things to take. Very good idea about watching Craig's list and even Ebay. Hope she finds her quilts all safe.

Windwalker 07-29-2010 05:18 PM

This should serve as a reminder to record your serial numbers of everything and take photos. Lock them in a safe place for proof in the event anything is located.

You never recover from the violation.

PALS65 07-29-2010 05:30 PM

So sorry to hear that. 3 years ago someone went into my horse trailer and took everything I owned including 2 custom made saddles and even the spurs off my boots!!! You do feel violated.

b.zang 07-29-2010 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Windwalker
This should serve as a reminder to record your serial numbers of everything and take photos. Lock them in a safe place for proof in the event anything is located.

You never recover from the violation.

Unfortunately, we tend to learn after the fact, too.

My stuff was all carefully marked and recorded but it was still taken. Some electonic equipment was actually located halfway across the country, but the police kept it as evidence and I never did get it back. The insurance company treated me like I was the criminal. It's a horrible, horrible experience.

If something is a deal too good to believe, question where it comes from.

KellyK 07-29-2010 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by BKrenning
I'd be watching your local newspapers, ebay & nearby garage sales for someone selling the items your neighbor just lost. No one risks stealing something that they haven't figured out a way to get cash for quickly. Last I checked, pawn shops weren't taking quilting stuff so my guess is rummage sale or ebay. I hope the police catch them. I despise thieves more than cockroaches!

A good friend of mine started searching pawn shops after his home was robbed and he realized how limited the police investigation would be... and he found his computer, the shop owner tried to argue with him so he turned it on and there bright as day was the wallpaper, of him and a friend. The police were able to get the name of the thief from the pawnshop and recover most of his items.

I wholeheartedly agree with conducting your own investigation as best as possible.

That said, the situation is awful. I am glad she has friends that care about her.

montanablu 07-29-2010 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by mygirl66
I would like to help you put something together for her, to replace what was taken, even if it is just a little something. Please PM me your addy, and I will ship something out for you to give her. COME ON GUYS, WHOS WITH ME?

Lisa, if you would like us to send some fabric/notions/etc, just say the word! There are so many of us here who would love to help out a fellow quilter. PM your address

baubo1234 07-29-2010 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by mygirl66
I would like to help you put something together for her, to replace what was taken, even if it is just a little something. Please PM me your addy, and I will ship something out for you to give her. COME ON GUYS, WHOS WITH ME?

I would like to help also.

quilt addict 07-29-2010 10:54 PM

I thank you all for your kind words and thoughts. It is just so frustrating. The police said they were the 4th house hit in their neighborhood that day. They think it is a ring that has been working in various areas all over the county. I hope they have a good experience with their insurance company, I use the same one. I have sent word out to our quilt guild.

So far it looks like no quilts were taken. That is good news. They were to leave on vacation tomorrow but that is cancelled since they have to do everything with cash since closing all bank accounts and credit cards.

The strangest items taken, every bandage in the house and DH's shaving cream.

It appears they pulled a car into the garage and closed the door. Loaded up and then quietly drove away. It is just awful. I had my identity stolen once and that was bad but noone was in my house. I can't imagine the feeling of coming home and having every cabinet and drawer emptied on the floor.