Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   read a good book lately? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/read-good-book-lately-t123602.html)

redturtle 05-16-2011 03:58 PM

i just finished reading...Alice's Tulips by Sandra Dallas

it was really good...enjoyed it immensely...

its about a young gal who farms her hubbys land while he is off fighting in the war between the states...its all the letters that she wrote to her sister but it is loaded w/ references to quilting

Kathios 05-16-2011 03:59 PM

Thanks for the tip. That is just my kind of read.

mltquilt 05-16-2011 04:42 PM

Thanks for the title. Love books about that time period and quilting references will be an added bonus.

mltquilt

bobbie1 05-16-2011 04:43 PM

Just finished Poor Mrs. Rigsby by Kathy Herman. All of Kathy Herman's books are fantastic. She writes Christian fiction..suspense.

sewgull 05-16-2011 04:54 PM

I need to read this book.

susie0808 05-16-2011 05:04 PM

Just finished reading Emelie Richards- Wedding Ring, Endless Chain, and Lovers Knot Good read. Quilting theme in all.

DogHouseMom 05-16-2011 05:08 PM

Several :)

"Cutting for Stone" by Abraham Verghese - young boys (twins) growing up in an Ethiopian Missionary hospital and learning to be doctors from their adoptive parents. I like stories in foreign places that give me 'flavors' of their culture and history. Was a great read. First person narrative (one of the twins).

"The Help" by Katherine Stockett. One of the best books I've read in years. Again 1st person narrative but told by 3 different people. Takes place in Mississippi in the 60's - 2 of the narrators are AA maids to rich white women, the other is a rich white woman who doesn't quite agree that AA maids are "different". You "feel" the 60's. Excellent read (or listen as is how I "read" it). They're making a movie out of this one, I think it releases in August.

"Room" by Emma Donoghue. Another 1st person narrative (getting the hint yet?), but this time by a 5 year old boy. He describes everything as nouns ... his room is named "room", "chair", "wardrobe", etc. He and his mother are confined to this room but I won't tell you how or why as that would give it away. I enjoyed the book as a whole, very original and fresh perspective. Not crazy about the ending though but it didn't "ruin" the book for me.

And ....

"The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexdre Dumas. Yes, the classic. Again I like foreign culture and period pieces. Love the basic plot line of justice or some would call it vengence ... intricate, calculated, excellent character development. Give this classic a shot when you have a LOT of time on your hands, it's an incredibly long read but well worth it.

lheartsl 05-16-2011 05:28 PM

the peach keeper I just finished, but for the life of me cant remember the author....
now reading a turn in the road....

sueisallaboutquilts 05-16-2011 05:56 PM

redturtle, that sounds good! I love getting titles from people. Thank you!
Loved - The Help and Room (someone else mentioned them)
I can't think at the moment but I always have a book going :)

almostfree 05-16-2011 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by mltquilt
Thanks for the title. Love books about that time period and quilting references will be an added bonus.

mltquilt

Me too! Will have to write that one down.