Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Reducing Pet Hair (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/reducing-pet-hair-t57440.html)

tdgiffin 08-02-2010 04:38 AM

I saw the post about vaccuuming issues, and I noticed that many of you have pets. I thought you might be interested...
I have five furry pets in this house - three dogs and two cats - and they ALL shed like crazy. I hate having to vaccuum every day, but you almost have to if you have this many pets. I went to the pet store and complained. A worker, and former groomer, pointed me to this device called the Furminator. it is like a brus/comb combination. it gently strips pets' fur of any loose fur, and it had made a drastic difference in the amount of shedding in my house! I bought mine on sale, but my sister-in-law found it even cheaper online. I think she used amazon.com for hers.
Anyway, for those of you who are sick and tired of vaccuuming, you might want to check this out. By the way, my pets love it!

zennia 08-02-2010 04:42 AM

Thank You. I have three cats so will check this out. I am tired of always chasing cat hair around the house. I vaccum and use my shark daily but still fight the cat hair.

FancyFoot 08-02-2010 06:11 AM

We tried the Furminator but instead,
We shaved our cat (long haired) with a flowbee. That eliminated hair around the house. Less mess too :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

feline fanatic 08-02-2010 06:50 AM

OMG too funny you should post this I just bought one this past Friday. I can't believe I spent so much money on a grooming tool but it really got a lot of hair off my cats. I used it on them outside and the clumps of hair in our yard made it look like there had been one rip-roarer of a cat fight out there! I have 4 long haired cats and 1 short hair. How often do you use yours? I did all my cats a bit each day this weekend but I suspect I need to use it every day for about a week and then maybe cut down to once a week?
The tool said I could use it on our dog too but I haven't tackled her. She is a medium length hair shepherd-malumute mix.

quilter1 08-02-2010 06:58 AM

I have one too. It does cut down on the fur a lot. On of my Goldens has a double coat so she sheds clumps of fur all over the place. When I use the Furminator on her, it looks like we have 4 dogs instead of three. LOL

QBeth 08-02-2010 07:46 AM

The furminator does a great job! So does a small shop vac for tackling pet hair bunnies but that's another story. _:-)_

Unfortunately, my four furry ones don't like the furminator, no matter how gently I use it. I suspect they just don't like being kept in one spot vs. not liking the tool, so I use it in spurts. It really gets those undercoat hairs!!

nativetexan 08-02-2010 07:50 AM

my hubby ordered those emery cat boards and they came with some great fine combs that work well. they pull enough hair out of my cats coats, so i'd hate to try using something that pulled more out. i have 3 cats.

Bobbinchick 08-02-2010 07:51 AM

I need to find one for my sister who has a dog that sheds like mad. I imagine her cat does too, but i haven't had much problem with the cat, but I'm allergic to cats. The dog hair is all over her car and every where else and I'm going over there in a week or so to help her put. She is laid up with hip problems and can't get around with out her walker. I hope they aren't too expensive. I might look in the pet store a few blocks away. Have a great day, Huggies, Fay

Ditter43 08-02-2010 07:58 AM

I bought one of these....they are really great! After I went over my dog with it I had enough hair to cover another dog! :lol: :thumbup:

craftiladi 08-02-2010 08:26 AM

I am so tempted as we pay the mortage for 5 cats & 2 dogs. I have mostly hardwood floors so my swifter & I are best of friends on a daily basis but after reading what everyone has to say I just might have to give this a try.
here is a link for anyone that might be interested.
http://dogs.suite101.com/article.cfm...ng_tool_review