Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Remember the fads we had in school? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/remember-fads-we-had-school-t83606.html)

pal 12-17-2010 10:21 PM

My friends and I were remembering the fads we had in school - in the '50's , wearing those collars with two white fur balls hanging from them. Or the dog collar over your right sock if you were going steady or over your left sock if you were "available"

We also wore white lipstick, and a hairband plastered between your forehead and your hair - really unflattering.

How about the rubber girdles and stockings that had pictures painted around the back of the ankle?

Ramona Byrd 12-17-2010 10:27 PM

And 'Penny Loafers" with a penny stuck in them. And those wide felt skirts with the poodles on them. I found one of my old pictures wearing one and it looked like I was slowly sinking into the ground. My GD howled with laughter at it, all the while her warm jacket was well above her waist and she kept pulling it down because she was cold!!
Then there was the "Boyfriend Sweater" that was miles too big and kept dripping in dinner plates when you went to your favorite cafe for cherry Cokes and a burger and fries. But you had to wear it to prove you had a boy friend but had to hide it so your mean old father wouldn't see it. (Not me, Grandma raised me and she was far more vicious than a junk yard dog where "those trashy boys" were concerned!!!

Leota 12-17-2010 10:31 PM

I was only a little girl but the full crinoline pettycoats under the full gathered skirts where if you wiggled at all you russeled loudly and everyone would look to see who was skwerming

seahug 12-17-2010 10:35 PM

oH dEER MY FAVORITE WAS VANILLA COKES. tHE DANCE HALLS WERE FUN TOO.aMERICAN BANDSTAND LOVED dICK clARK. PEGED PANTS WERE A BIG THING TOO oH THE MEMORIES....

pal 12-17-2010 10:39 PM

We also wore horsehair crinolines and special hoop slips to make those felt skirts stick out. Yup, the boys wore pegged pants and their hair was fashioned in a DA!

moonrise 12-17-2010 10:51 PM

I graduated from high school in '86, so we wore leg warmers, jelly shoes and bracelets, BIG BIG BIG hair :-D , Members Only jackets, off-the-shoulder Flashdance shirts, Swatch watches, stirrup pants, etc.

Fun times! :mrgreen:

pal 12-17-2010 11:28 PM

Was the BIG hair from rolling it over a concentrated OJ can?
We used to set our hair with rubber curlers that snapped on, and the curls were tiny and tight! Then we got rollers that had brushes in them, and you slept in them. Ugh!

cpfrog 12-17-2010 11:31 PM

late 50's early 60's: Did anyone get those candy birthday corsages from their friends? the more corsages hanging off your chest, the more popular, obviously! I don't remember the exact representative candy, but age 16 was small sugar cubes, tied into the sweetheart roses... another year was lifesavers, another was lemondrops, etc... you get the picture.

Kitsie 12-17-2010 11:35 PM

And saddle shoes, then pink and black sweaters, skin tight skirts, mid-calf length skirts that "met" the pulled up bobby socks. Pony tails and bangs. "Twin set" sweaters. Scarfs like a cowboy type worn over the twin sets! And pin curling your hair with crossed bobby pins all over your head! I was a tom-boy but the "clique" decided to fix me all up. With my blue cat's eye glasses I didn't really turn any heads. Next day back to the jock that I was!

Thanks for the memories!

Sue Fors 12-18-2010 03:17 AM

I can remember the white lipstick and eye make-up. I also ironed my hair on the ironing board when it got too long for those oj cans!