Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Residents came to see the horses!! Photos!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/residents-came-see-horses-photos-t56663.html)

barnbum 07-28-2010 11:32 AM

25 Attachment(s)
This is our 4th annual visit from Quail Summit, an assisted living facility. My friend from school, Cheri, helped me this year. This is the first year I didn't have kids/former students helping and it worked fine. Rachel was here to watch Buddy, take photos, and serve the lemonade and pretzels. Cheri and I already have plans for next year. :-D

This trip always has a waiting list for the bus, but fewer came this year because the heat (89) scared them away. But, they are always seated in the shade and there was a great breeze. We serve lemonade before they leave to keep them cool.

The agenda was chat, take Tucker and Mazie through the obstacle course, then take them through the line. Then give a lunging demo with Chloe and Gypsy, then take them through the line. Lastly, Rosie did her dance. She is a bit flighty to go through the line, but I bring her out for them to see closer. The one gentleman there was a farmer, so he loved being here. Many of the women are horse lovers.

All photos are by Rachel--until you see her with Buddy. ;)

Mazie backing through the elbow, while Tucker tackles the poles.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69322[/ATTACH]

Tucker
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69324[/ATTACH]

What a love bug. :-)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69326[/ATTACH]

Tucker coming off the bridge!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69496[/ATTACH]

Mazie
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69497[/ATTACH]

Cheri has Chloe. As you can see, Chloe's an easy keeper. lol
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69499[/ATTACH]

Cheri with Tucker
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69511[/ATTACH]

I'm explaining about Rosie's dance...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69513[/ATTACH]

Rosie circles...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69514[/ATTACH]

Rosie sidepasses....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69515[/ATTACH]

Buddy's turn!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69516[/ATTACH]

Tucker and Mazie in the obstacle course. Mazie has a hula hoop going over her. Tucker is going through the cones.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69518[/ATTACH]

Mazie on the bridge!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69519[/ATTACH]

Horse loving
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69520[/ATTACH]

I lunged Chloe and Gypsy, then took them through the line.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69525[/ATTACH]

But such a gentle soul.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69526[/ATTACH]

First I chat with them. I was explaining about the muzzles.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69588[/ATTACH]

There's Cheri! She's a PE teacher.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69589[/ATTACH]

Ditter43 07-28-2010 11:34 AM

That's great! I used to work in an aclf and I know the residents loved the outings!!
It is so nice of you to do this. I am sure they enjoyed it! :-D :thumbup:

Jim's Gem 07-28-2010 11:51 AM

What a great thing you do for the seniors!!
Great pictures Rachel!!!

ShowMama 07-28-2010 12:10 PM

You are doing a really good thing. Keep up the good work!

ksea 07-28-2010 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum
This is our 4th annual visit from Quail Summit, an assisted living facility. My friend from school, Cheri, helped me this year. This is the first year I didn't have kids/former students helping and it worked fine. Rachel was here to watch Buddy, take photos, and serve the lemonade and pretzels. Cheri and I already have plans for next year. :-D

This trip always has a waiting list for the bus, but fewer came this year because the heat (89) scared them away. But, they are always seated in the shade and there was a great breeze. We serve lemonade before they leave to keep them cool.

The agenda was chat, take Tucker and Mazie through the obstacle course, then take them through the line. Then give a lunging demo with Chloe and Gypsy, then take them through the line. Lastly, Rosie did her dance. She is a bit flighty to go through the line, but I bring her out for them to see closer. The one gentleman there was a farmer, so he loved being here. Many of the women are horse lovers.

All photos are by Rachel--until you see her with Buddy. ;)

What a wonderful thing that you do. Keep up the good work and blessings to you and yours.

Joanieu 07-28-2010 12:47 PM

That is so neat!! I love that you do that with the horses and the seniors. Keep up the good work. I love your horses... one day, just maybe...

BKinCO 07-28-2010 02:54 PM

How sweet of you to do that~ I just moved my parents into assisted living this week and I can only hope they have activities half as fun as this one!!!

bluebird 07-28-2010 03:10 PM

Oh Karla, I'm crying. What a fun day for everyone, 2 or 4 legged. Love Mazies Do :D

dsb38327 07-28-2010 03:16 PM

Precious!

clem55 07-28-2010 03:38 PM

I think what you do is wonderful! I just recently visited my niece in a rehab/comprehensive center, my first time to visit a place like that. It broke my heart seeing so many elderly people just sitting in wheelchairs watching TV, or in small rooms with nothing to do. Thank God there are peole like you!!