Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Ribbon for bias tape? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/ribbon-bias-tape-t215197.html)

Flying_V_Goddess 03-01-2013 01:20 PM

Ribbon for bias tape?

For the moment I'm not quilting or planning quilts. Currently in the process of making costumes for a convention in three weeks.

I'm just having the most difficult time hemming the arm holes and collar of this dress I'm making for one of the God-kids. I thought of finishing it off with bias tape, but I already cut up any leftover fabric I had into squares for quilting and our Wal-Mart currently doesn't have a full craft section complete with fabrics and pre-made bias tape. But...we do sell ribbon. I never tried it before, but maybe I could use the ribbon for bias tape. Has anyone ever tried it with their quilting or general sewing or think it would work?

auntpiggylpn 03-01-2013 01:37 PM

I have used a soft cotton twill ribbon in place of bias tape with good results

Holice 03-01-2013 01:38 PM

ribbon is difficult to sew into curved seams it doesn't stretch.

PaperPrincess 03-01-2013 01:44 PM

What Holice said. Bias tape is cut on the BIAS so that it will go around curves. Seam binding, ribbon etc. is on the straight of grain. If the curve is very gentle it may work, but with kid's clothes I'm guessing that the curve is pretty sharp on the arm holes & neckline. If you can't find premade bias tape, I'd get a half yard of a coordinating solid fabric & just cut some yourself. Twill tape comes in several weights and the lightest one is very loosely woven, it has some give so that might work.

linda8450 03-01-2013 01:46 PM

If you can turn down the seam allowance, use "magic tape" or a little glue to apply the ribbon, curving as you steam press the curve, you could either zigzag or stitch down both sides...I wouldn't use a very wide ribbon, 3/8" to 1/2" at the most.

Flying_V_Goddess 03-01-2013 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 5897210)
What Holice said. Bias tape is cut on the BIAS so that it will go around curves. Seam binding, ribbon etc. is on the straight of grain. If the curve is very gentle it may work, but with kid's clothes I'm guessing that the curve is pretty sharp on the arm holes & neckline. If you can't find premade bias tape, I'd get a half yard of a coordinating solid fabric & just cut some yourself. Twill tape comes in several weights and the lightest one is very loosely woven, it has some give so that might work.

The curve gets sharp where the back and front part of the dress meet. Hemming wasn't too bad until I reached the seams and then my hem got all bunched and twisted up. Only made it worse when I tried fixing it.

Flying_V_Goddess 03-01-2013 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by linda8450 (Post 5897215)
If you can turn down the seam allowance, use "magic tape" or a little glue to apply the ribbon, curving as you steam press the curve, you could either zigzag or stitch down both sides...I wouldn't use a very wide ribbon, 3/8" to 1/2" at the most.

Unfortunately the only ribbon in the color I need my fiance was able to find on his lunch hour was 7/8".

slk350 03-01-2013 11:27 PM

Could you make a facing with some fabric that comes close in color. I do a lot of non-quilting sewing and armholes can be difficult. I have tons of bias tape and hardly ever use it.

LenaBeena 03-02-2013 05:56 AM

I sew many costumes for our community theater. Ribbon works except, as has been said, on curves. But the "secret" we often use is good old Elmers Glue. Costumes are viewed from stage and usually not under the scrutiny of the quilt police so our sewing gets creative. What stops the negative types when they complain is the sweet question..."Would you like to help make the costumes?" That always does it!!

seasaw2mch 03-02-2013 09:49 AM

I use to make clothing a lot and when making costumes, on an occasion I would run out of time and /or ideas to get it done the right way.
I found that if I zigzag the edge of the fabric (seam allowance), then roll it under and sewed it in place, it worked out OK. At least it held up until I could find what was needed to make it permanent, if it was necessary to use the costume again later. Most of the time they were used only one time so it was never a problem.