Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   rv ing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/rv-ing-t221144.html)

mustangquilts 05-11-2013 07:37 AM

We have always camped. Started in a tent than smaller trailers. 6 years ago we bought a beautiful 32 foot fifth wheel. I love it. We use it as a base camp and than take the jeep and tent up to remote places. After a couple of days we go back to the fifth wheel clean up and cook and bake yummy food. Than head out into the wilderness for a couple of more days. We will to this for about 10 days and two or three times a year. I love it. We are both in our 60's and it is still so much fun. When we travel we always take the fifth wheel cause I love having my own space. Hate, hate, staying in motels. In face we are headed to Disney World for 21 days this summer with the GK's with parents and we are camping the whole way there and back. Over 2000 miles one way. It will be so much fun and I always take applique to work on when traveling. So excited.

quiltmau 05-11-2013 08:53 AM

I used to camp with my Grandfather. My idea of roughing it now consists of a hotel without room service!!

Quilts rock 05-11-2013 09:47 AM

Dh and I just bought a fifth wheel this week and I already have us booked into two places! We are excited to say the least. We had rented an RV two years ago and travelled from eastern Ontario to Wyoming, Montana , north and South Dakota and up into BC, Canada , Alberta and Saskatchewan. Man what an awesome trip!! So... Since we have been talking about it for two years , we finally decided to buy one. The people we met along the way were sooo nice, and it was great to sit and hear their stories. We went to a restaurant in a small town in Minnesota and saw people bowing their heads to pray before their meal. How awesome is that! We are planning a two week trip in September to Vermont , New Hampshire, then Virginia to travel the Blue ridge parkway. Life is good!
i was sorry to hear of the loss of your husband, but good for you to carry on with what you love and I'm sure there are many times when you are sitting by a nice fire that wonderful memories of him drift in. Happy travels!

onaemtnest 05-11-2013 11:00 AM

Camping is IMHO = Housework made inconvenient.

We tent camped with kids when they were little, then a pop-up trailer with little kitchen, beds off the ground...still found myself too much of a girlie girl hated it. Drove 35 miles one-way from our favorite campsite in the mountains outside Denver, to home every day to take a shower...hated the smoke in my hair etc....

Our kids loved every minute of the camping adventures and both still camp now they have families of their own, so apparently I didn't pass on my dislike of camping to them for which I'm grateful....

Now roughing it means a Best Western, but don't get me started on motels either :0). Not meaning to sound like a bah-hum bugger just my personal opinion.

tesspug 05-11-2013 11:08 AM

We're packing up the RV right now. The only vacation my family took when I was a child was camping. We had a trailer. When I married 40 years ago we went tent camping. When we retired we bought a small Class C. This year we are going for two months across northern USA and Canada. I can't imagine not camping.

redvette54 05-11-2013 11:25 AM

Oh what great stories. Right now our 5th wheel is parked on my in-laws farm. It sets in front of a small pond, with ducks, geese and 2 white swans. To the left is the horse pasture. Looking past the pond is a large wheat field. We have built a bonfire pit too. My father-in-law, sadly, is in poor health and my DH and his brother are working the farm as thier second jobs. DH has been staying down there for the last couple of weeks, getting the crops in. Now that's it warmed up, I'll be going on the weekends too (still working).

Quilts rock 05-11-2013 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by tesspug (Post 6058061)
We're packing up the RV right now. The only vacation my family took when I was a child was camping. We had a trailer. When I married 40 years ago we went tent camping. When we retired we bought a small Class C. This year we are going for two months across northern USA and Canada. I can't imagine not camping.

If you are going through eastern Ontario give us a big hey and hello!

LenaBeena 05-11-2013 01:01 PM

We started camping with our little children and a tent and canoe. Then came a pop-up camper and a small sailboat. Then finally a 30 ft sailboat and we then camped on water instead of ground. They are grown and gone now and we are thinking of going back to a pick-up truck camper and a small sailboat. Lost our crew and also lost much of our stamina. Aging does that, but also brings many wonderful memories ! :)

bhanes 05-12-2013 06:01 PM

Raised our children camping - tent, travel trailer, 5th Wheel - now a Class A. We love the RV life. Just got home this afternoon from a trip. RVers are the nicest people - we love the lifestyle - and sleeping in our own bed at night!

QuiltingVagabond 05-13-2013 05:07 AM

We do not camp, but we call our fifth wheel a "camper" - a holdover from the past, I guess. Our RV is nicer than my home, and cleaner too LOL! We have all the amenities, except for a dishwasher and we can take it all with us when we travel. And we know who slept in the bed the night before! :thumbup: