Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Skunk under my house (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/skunk-under-my-house-t180391.html)

myocean12 02-23-2012 09:39 AM

Skunk under my house

I'm so tired of our house getting sprayed. We have one (maybe 2,3,4,5 ?) skunk living under our home. It has sprayed us 4 times so far this month of February! Have called the Pest Control people who set a trap, but, so far no luck! Just wanted to vent.

Up North 02-23-2012 09:45 AM

Oh Yuck we had that happen once when we lived in an old farm house. One time I thought the neighbors dog was in my entry way and was going to get the little bugger, when I turned on the light and opened the door it was a skunk! I slowly backed away from that one!

Lori S 02-23-2012 09:57 AM

OHH ! NO!!!! do call a pro .. not worth waiting. My neighbor thought they had one,...turned out to be 9 living under the front porch. When they called animal control they told them they would be number 178 on the "list". Find someone who can get rid of them quickly.

myocean12 02-23-2012 11:21 AM

Thanks for the support! Our Pest Control officer said that if the skunk does not come out to eat the dry cat food that he will spray wolf urine all around our house. Oh Joy! Bet that will smell good!

Up North 02-23-2012 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by myocean12 (Post 5001421)
Thanks for the support! Our Pest Control officer said that if the skunk does not come out to eat the dry cat food that he will spray wolf urine all around our house. Oh Joy! Bet that will smell good!

I bet it will smell better than the skunk!!

dd 02-23-2012 11:41 AM

Neighbors used eggs. The set them out in a trail (think breadcrumbs) from where they went under the porch to the trap. They did this just before dusk because they usually come out after dark. There were a good many under their porch too.

Tartan 02-23-2012 11:42 AM

I think I read somewhere to put a radio under the house with loud music on. I think the idea is to let it play all night when they are trying to sleep. I don't know if it works but I always thought it was a funny solution because....how are the people supposed to sleep through loud rock and roll under the house? What we have done if get the big traps from the animal control officer and put a can of cat food or sardines in the trap BUT first get the glad super sized garbage bag that you can fit the whole trap in. Leave the trap door at the open end of the bag and this way you can check the trap in the morning without getting sprayed. If it's the neighbours cat in there, you can let it out and try again.

Tink's Mom 02-23-2012 12:27 PM

We have a problem with them every now and then...I live near the forest preserve. I have found that a piece of meat that is old (think too old to eat) is really good for catching them. We had a regular pick up/ drop off empty cage going for awhile. Old chicken really was the most effective...I think it was 20 minutes.
I like the idea of the garbage bag...

drgranny 02-23-2012 03:13 PM

My daughter catches them when they come to eat cat food at her barn. She just throws a blanket over the trap and carries them to the canyon outside town and turns them loose. She hasn't gotten sprayed yet. knock on wlld!!

drgranny 02-23-2012 03:14 PM

Sorry!! Knock on wood!!!