Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   sleep apnea (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/sleep-apnea-t147452.html)

schoolteacher 08-24-2011 03:27 AM

I have recently been diagnosed with sleep apnea and it has been recommended to used a CPAP (?). Does anyone use it and are there any disadvantages? Thanks

JulieR 08-24-2011 03:33 AM

My husband uses one - it has saved his life and improved both our lives more than I can say.

For him, his apnea was so severe that he had NO problems adjusting to it - it was the first time he actually SLEPT in a long time. We wish it had a longer hose so he had more freedom to move at night, and of course we wish he didn't have to use it so we could cuddle better at night or fall asleep on the couch.

BUT we gladly give up that bit of freedom to have his quality of life back.

If they are recommending a CPAP, please try it at the very least. They are medically necessary for some, and since one has been prescribed for you the chances are you really need it to preserve your health.

schoolteacher 08-24-2011 03:40 AM

thanks, i'm not too happy about the whole idea so appreciate your words of encouragement.

Painiacs 08-24-2011 03:45 AM

I have sleep issues. I don't have sleep apnea per se they found I just don't breath Deep enough. My oxygen levels just fall when I sleep. I ended up almost dying from not breathing I now wear oxygen at night. My bf had sleep apnea and needed cpap. She said it made such a diferrence! We were also both told no sleeping on your back. Side only. She had less day fatigue. Hope It helps you!!

JulieR 08-24-2011 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by schoolteacher
thanks, i'm not too happy about the whole idea so appreciate your words of encouragement.

I did mean to add that I'm sorry you have to do this. It takes a psychological toll, too. But getting a good night's sleep for once can help improve your mood, too!

romanojg 08-24-2011 04:03 AM

I have a friend who was diagnosed w/it and was put on the machine. Several years later they decided she had to have her adnoids removed; she said that's when she had her first really good sleep. She no longer uses/needs the machine.

Greenheron 08-24-2011 04:11 AM

I use a CPAP. Took very little time to be accustomed to it and the benefits are life-saving. Plus, no one sees you rigged outside the bedroom.

I was so sleep deprived before I could be in bed all night, have breakfast, make my bed, lay on top "for a minute" and be there until lunch (summer, of course). I had to get DH to be sure I got up in time for work. Ha, ha, my GP diagnosed 'depression' and medicated for same which only made me sleepier. Finally, my visiting son observed my breathing stops when I went to sleep watching a movie with him, "Mom, you've got apnea." The CPAP was and is like getting my life back.

Local man retired from a job he loved because of constant fatigue--thought he was getting too old. He was later diagnosed with apnea, got his CPAP, and returned to his old, energetic self.

It helps to have a sense of humor.

JulieR 08-24-2011 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Greenheron
It helps to have a sense of humor.

This is so true.

We used to tell people, between his CPAP and my mouth guard NO WONDER we didn't have kids!

Lacelady 08-24-2011 04:15 AM

I was diagnosed 7 years ago - I couldn't get on with the mask that only covered my nose, but once I got the larger version that covers nose and mouth, I was fine. It is very much second nature to me now - in fact became so quite early on. Once you realise how much better you feel during the day (because you have slept more restfully) it is much easier to adapt to the situation.

And the machine is much quieter than you may fear, and certainly much quieter than the snoring you will have been doing (in case you have a sleep partner, they will notice a big difference too).

All airlines carry them free too, and for a long haul flight, I believe they will facilitate you using the machine during the flight.

If you feel you are struggling to adapt, do take advice from your Sleep clinic or CPAP supplier, it might just be a question of tweaking, or adjusting. I found that I felt the need for a higher pressure than I was prescribed, because I was taking the mask off in my sleep, now it has been adjusted up a bit, I am fine.

It might sound like the end of the world, but at least you don't have to take drugs for the rest of your life, and your daytime tiredness will be much less, so you should begin to feel the benefit quite quickly.

lindy 08-24-2011 04:42 AM

My husband and I have both been on the cpap for several years. We no longer lie awake making sure the other is breathing! It makes a big difference in our energy levels and is literally a life saver.