Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Smoker's challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/smokers-challenge-t132761.html)

Catherine Marie 06-24-2011 05:38 AM

This weekend I am going to my friend's cottage. She smokes, I'm trying to quit.
I've pledged to my husband, and to my 'smoking' sponsor that I will not smoke while there.
However, I am very anxious about the entire time. Lots of sitting around, sunning on the dock, drinking- hey, I said I'm trying to give up smoking, not drinking- lots of opportunities to 'just have one'. I don't want to have one, well, I really do, but I can't have even one.
I'm committing to all of you kind souls that I will not smoke this weekend.
However, I would gladly welcome any hints or helpful tricks to keep me from smoking.
I'd like to take some quilting but have had carpel tunnel surgery and it is still 'ouchy'.

Sadiemae 06-24-2011 05:40 AM

My thoughts will be with you for a smokeless weekend!!!

qbquilts 06-24-2011 05:41 AM

Not being a smoker, I don't have any experience in your situation, but what about chewing gum or having a piece of candy (like a tic-tac) every time you get the urge? That way you would have something in your mouth. Good luck!

Up North 06-24-2011 05:43 AM

Cut a straw in half and when you get the urge just puff on that. It really does help!! GOOD LUCK! You can do it!!

Krystyna 06-24-2011 05:44 AM

You are putting yourself in a tough situation especially since this is so new to you. Think about it this way: if you were an alcoholic and just newly sober, would your first social event be a cocktail party? I don't know the situation, but maybe you might think of postponing the visit?

emerald46 06-24-2011 05:45 AM

If you have been good and not smoked in a few weeks, you will find the odor very offensive! That is how I quit several years ago. I've never smoked in our home and our first trip to visit "smoking friends" almost made me phsically ill. The odor is/was horrendous!! Take lots of chewing gum and a big can of Lysol!!

TShooters 06-24-2011 05:48 AM

Andes Candies--those little chocolate sandwiches with mint in the middle. Have one every time you have the urge to smoke. Drink lots of water.

MaryStoaks 06-24-2011 05:50 AM

I have been trying to quit smoking for a long time, now I'm chewing nicotine gum. It does help me but I'm still smoking at times. You have my best wishes, I do know how hard it is to quit. This weekend I have company, they don't smoke so maybe they will be an extra incentive not to smoke. Good thoughts to you. :thumbup: :thumbup:

calano1 06-24-2011 05:51 AM

Chappies, beechies, bubblegum ..... whatever it is called in the States ..... buy bags full .... replace old ones as soon as the taste is gone..... if you feel any urge ...... replace with a new one. DH says it works all the time!

Sterkte!! :thumbup:

Up North 06-24-2011 05:52 AM

The trouble with substituting food of any kind in place of smoking will cause you to gain weight. Just be strong and walk away, maybe she will respect your wanting to quit and not smoke by you.