Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   so very cold here (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/so-very-cold-here-t211656.html)

JoanneS 01-24-2013 09:42 AM

And a week ago, the east coast was warmer than AZ. Crazy winter! Stay warm sisters!

JBeamer 01-24-2013 12:03 PM

I feel for you. We just to live in northern IL. 70 miles NW of Chicago. I remember one year the wind chill factor was 78 degrees. Brrr! Try to stay warm. Will sent heat wave thoughts to all of you in the freezing weather.

JBeamer 01-24-2013 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by JBeamer (Post 5810595)
I feel for you. We just to live in northern IL. 70 miles NW of Chicago. I remember one year the wind chill factor was 78 degrees. Brrr! Try to stay warm. Will sent heat wave thoughts to all of you in the freezing weather.

That was below zero. Sorry.

coldquilter 01-24-2013 05:53 PM

It was -37 when I looked this morning at about 7. Never did see about 0 all day. Good for sewing and getting other things done inside.

lynnie 01-24-2013 06:06 PM

It was seven last night. Turnd the heat down to 65 took all day to get to 69. Told my dh im a quilter, use one.

LadyKassy 01-24-2013 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by JBeamer (Post 5810595)

I remember that year - we couldn't let the dogs out because they were small and would freeze in seconds and our car was having problems and I worried every time hubby left to go to work. Now they are talking nearly 60 F in the Quad-Cities by Monday!! Go figure!

slk350 01-24-2013 09:25 PM

Boy,all those freezing temps remind me why we moved to Florida. Today it was 65-70. Was a bit nippy for driving topless, but did it anyways. It's 58 tonight and the windows are open. Feels good compared to the 90's and humid in the long summer months.

KathyPhillips 01-24-2013 10:40 PM

well it was 79 degrees here today in Texas! We haven't had a freeze yet, just a frost one night. We go to NM or No. TX if we want to be in the snow, but driving in it is not good. Especially since we don't know how to drive in that weather. If it snows in TX, all the schools and a lot of businesses, courthouse, etc. close.

cricket_iscute 01-24-2013 10:41 PM

It was about zero degrees F here (Massachusetts) this morning and the power went out. I was apparently the only one home in the neighborhood because nobody else called it in. Now I read that there were scattered outages throughout the region. The house was down to 62 from 72 F by the time power, and the blower for the furnace, was restored. I hid under a pile of quilts until then.

This evening a friend came over to quilt. I had turned on an oil-filled space heater several hours earlier in my basement sewing room. There is also heat from the furnace in the room. Still, it was mighty darn cold, with it being 7 degrees outside and -5 F wind chill. Do you know that packaged batting in front of basement windows blocks cold drafts? I also have a quilt hanging over my bedroom window and it makes a difference. Think quilts instead of curtains for this cold weather, fellow quilters!

Sure do wish I had a wood stove!

QM 01-24-2013 11:27 PM

High of 49 today, here in the mountains. Supposed to be 34 tonight. Boy am I glad I'm not where you are.