Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Some Chit Chat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/some-chit-chat-t233781.html)

Rosyhf 11-01-2013 01:17 PM

Some Chit Chat

10 Attachment(s)
Hi Everyone, I know I said I would come and check in now and then while I was painting. Here is what I have been up to some of the time lol.

Some time ago, I made an exchange. A cloth doll for an old beat up Owl from the 50 ties. HE is made out of chalk or some substance like it.

Even tho he was so pitiful, I loved him at first sight. He is huge! I decided he had potential. He had traveled all over the USA, New York was his last stay. He had been knocked around quite a bit. I fixed the very large hole under his wing, rebuilt his feathers on that same wing. Patched all his bruises and cracks and formed him some new ears.
I sealed him up with that Decoart Americana, Multi- Purpose Sealer and started to give him a new set of clothes and bright eyes.

And then there was this pitiful little yard dog with his bone that I got from the neighbor’s garage sale, had to have him too. I rebuilt his tail and patched his cracks. He will get the same treatment as the Owl but his bone will be polka dots

I did a coat of Multi-Surface Sealer (Decoart) on the Owl, he looks so shinny now and his eyes got all clear. I then mixed the Sealer and some dark Primer and did the dog. Doesn't he look so sad? He is a dirty grey and black now lol.

I finished Milford the Owl lol. I put all sorts of tints and glazes on him and then painted the front of him Yellow. I just played with lots of color. Yellows, oranges, Burnt Sienna, purple, reds, on his back and wings and lots of White for high lights on his breast feathers.

I covered his breast with a coat of Extender, wiped it down and ladled the Burnt Umber that I had mixed with extender on him. Wiped him down and wiped out the high lights. I decided to then add some black under the feathers, which I also did to the eyes to make them recede.
Wiped that down and then added white to high light. The last three pics are him all done. Compare him to what he looked like before. I let him cure for a day or two and then I varnished him.

For those who have some statuary lying around that fixing and painting. I used plummers putty for the fixing up and then I used the Decoart Traditions paint and Mediums. I couldn’t have gotten the effect I got with any other paint as these went on like oils and blended together without any lines etc. I had fun doing this

Rosyhf 11-01-2013 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The las pic is actually showing the antiquing. The pic of him all yellow was one of the glazes I put on before adding the white and black shade. Here is a pic of him all varnished. And the little dog with his red polka dot bone lol.

jothesewer2 11-01-2013 01:23 PM

You did a really good job. Worth the work. I love them

JudyTheSewer 11-01-2013 02:50 PM

How cute! I love those nails on the puppy :-)

CharlotteO 11-01-2013 03:09 PM

Wonderful job, I love the owl and a pedicure for the dog. Lot of work, but they were well worth it. Enjoy them.

valleyquiltermo 11-01-2013 03:11 PM

Wow you done a great job on both of them, what a deference you made.

piepatch 11-01-2013 03:17 PM

You did a beautiful job on the owl and the dog! What a transformation! I can see how you would have fun doing it, and it was fun to look them over...........I think I've looked at them three times now, and enjoyed it every time.j

Rosyhf 11-01-2013 06:14 PM

Thank you ladies, It was very relaxing doing this kind of painting.

quiltingcandy 11-01-2013 06:22 PM

They are both fantastic. Sure wish I had your talent.

cathyvv 11-01-2013 06:32 PM

Very well done! I can see why you fell in love with the owl.