Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Something to Really Think Hard About..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/something-really-think-hard-about-t181704.html)

SunlitenSmiles 03-06-2012 04:17 AM

during the 'cuban' missle crisis when the neighbors all gathered with plans ..... i said i am not washing the supper dishes , if they take over they can have my dirty dishes........worked for me........intend to not wash dishes again on Dec. 21 ---------- and fall asleep humming "Nearer My God To Thee" ------- and when i wake up on 12/22 it will be to say thank you and quilt!!!!!

SamSew 03-06-2012 04:38 AM

AMEN, I also agree with Jan

mom-6 03-06-2012 04:48 AM

This sort of thing is why I don't watch tv either!

becca1231 03-06-2012 04:48 AM

Why would they have kids get under their desk? How much protection would that give if an A-bomb was dropped anywhere within their state!!!

Tartan 03-06-2012 04:55 AM

I wouldn't want to survive if my loved ones were gone. I do take resonable percautions for natural disasters, (moving to the basement for tornadoes) but a nuclear disaster, nope. I also get my flu shot each year but that's all.

mountain deb 03-06-2012 05:42 AM

Have not seen it, still stuck on the "Left Behind" series of the rapture. We live near a power plant and if that got blown up......?

damaquilts 03-06-2012 06:28 AM

I tend not to worry about what is going to happen because there is nothing I can do about it anyway. But that being said,I will be as prepared as possible. The younger generation seems to freak out at the slightest problem , at least the ones here. I am glad I grew up poor and in a area of the US that still had outhouses ,no central heat, wood stoves and no running water. Copper mining area of the late 50s and early 60s in AZ. I can grow my own food , kill my own animals ,(if need be,, yuck though) . Sew , cook on a wood stove, and all the other things that will need to be done. I figure if me and mine are going to survive what ever , if its surviveable, I don't have time to wail and worry, won't be on my knees either except to plant or clean. I will be working.
In my way of thinking watching these sci fi movies is a form of education, maybe if we listen we can stop it happening. How many things in old sci fi movies are around today?

Caswews 03-06-2012 06:40 AM

wow Heavy thoughts here... I do have a stocked pantry and water in case of flood or an earthquake..

dirty1mom 03-06-2012 07:44 AM

I haven't seen the movie but I do have some emergency stuff stashed. I have been laughed at about having extra water, etc. on hand. When the power grid went down a few years ago, I had light (oil lamp), I had iced tea (extra ice in freezer was put into smaller cooler for use in keeping milk fresh and iced drinks), I had coffee in the morning (gas stove and camping coffee pot). I could even flush my toilet with water from the rain barrels. I don't get laughed at as much since then.

Ziva 03-06-2012 08:11 AM

I am with you!