Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Something to Really Think Hard About..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/something-really-think-hard-about-t181704.html)

stitchinwitch 03-05-2012 06:04 AM

Something to Really Think Hard About.....

Have any of you seen "Contagion"??It is something ALL of us should think about...My dh wouldn't even discuss it, but I was wondering if someone could actually survive a disaster like that. One would HAVE TO stay home, live on the stored food that was stocked up earlier. Would the water from the faucets still be good, or would we need to steer clear of that? Have guns in your homes for protection and to stave off looters?? It gets one thinking, anyway..by the Grace. etc. etc......

May in Jersey 03-05-2012 06:14 AM

Since I recently turned 76 I have to tell you that these unpleasant and frightening thoughts have been around a long time. During the 1940's when I was in grammar school when we hid under our desks during drills for Atomic Bombs landing, during the 50's when people were digging bomb shelters in their back yards, in late 60 and early 70's when some were heading to the hills in communes to grow their own food and survive on their own, and so on. I'm certianly not going to see that movie.

dd 03-05-2012 06:28 AM

Don't think I would want to survive. Rather be in the first to go group.

QuiltnNan 03-05-2012 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by dd (Post 5032778)
Don't think I would want to survive. Rather be in the first to go group.

i believe i would also not want to stick around. but that's probably just because of my stage of life. if i were in my 20's or 30's, i'd probably feel differently

nativetexan 03-05-2012 08:38 AM

I remember doing the under the desk thing at school and that was in the 50's for me.
i tend to keep jugs of distilled water in my home. I try to keep canned goods but don't do that well enough. life is scary enough without thinking about bad things daily. we can only hope man kind doesn't do more stupid things and lets the world go on.

Jan in VA 03-05-2012 11:59 AM

Sorry, I never focus on these things but on my Source, my Father from Whom comes all good gifts, Who gives His angles charge over me, Who meets all my needs according to His riches in Glory. My life is not mine but His.The only "prep" I have on hand is a couple gallons of water so I can flush if/when the power goes out for a bit, LOL!It is as easy to be optimistic as it is pessimistic, maybe easier.Jan in VA

arbed31 03-05-2012 12:01 PM

I agree with Jan.

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5033736)
Sorry, I never focus on these things but on my Source, my Father from Whom comes all good gifts, Who gives His angles charge over me, Who meets all my needs according to His riches in Glory. My life is not mine but His.

The only "prep" I have on hand is a couple gallons of water so I can flush if/when the power goes out for a bit, LOL!
It is as easy to be optimistic as it is pessimistic, maybe easier.

Jan in VA

Helovesme 03-05-2012 12:42 PM

How great He is! I'm with them...

gmacindy 03-05-2012 01:09 PM

I guess I am the "black sheep" here. I am prepared for an emergency, be it a blizzard, tornado, flood or whathave you. I will not have to rely on the gov/fema for anything, God willing. I have aways keep a full pantry. I am prepared to go for quite awhile without elec, heat and water. I spend the majority of the summer in my home in WI. I have a wood stove and know how to use it. Also, my main home is on wheels, so we just hitch up and hit the trail when we hear of bad weather ahead.

EllieGirl 03-05-2012 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey (Post 5032715)
Since I recently turned 76 I have to tell you that these unpleasant and frightening thoughts have been around a long time. During the 1940's when I was in grammar school when we hid under our desks during drills for Atomic Bombs landing, during the 50's when people were digging bomb shelters in their back yards, in late 60 and early 70's when some were heading to the hills in communes to grow their own food and survive on their own, and so on. I'm certianly not going to see that movie.

I remember in the 50s & 60s going under our desks for atomic bomb drills. I also remember my dad taking us to a bomb shelter where people could go if the Russians or Cubans attacked us. After all the fear from 9/11, and anthrax, I have no desire to see a doomsday movie.