Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Stage Fright? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/stage-fright-t147173.html)

Lneal 08-22-2011 07:34 PM

Anyone else had it? I had a research paper to read in front of my History class at college this evening. The longer I read the more my voice quivered and I sounded like I was scared to death! After the first paragraph I stopped reading and told the class I didn't know why I was so nervous. As they assured me I was doing fine, I continued reading but only to sound more scared and my voice sounded like I was going to cry! I just couldn't get control of my stage fright.

After I sat down I felt so embarrassed and more upset at myself that I acted that way. Some things are just ridiculous!

Anyone else have this happen and if so how do get control?

sharon b 08-22-2011 07:38 PM

When I had to take Speech in college - my first one was - well.... interesting :roll: I read so fast no one could keep up , it was the nerves . The teacher told us to make eye contact with people and remember they all have to do the same thing . Also practice the speech many , many times before you have to give it to a live audience , that way you are more comfortable . We have all been in your shoes , and it does get better :thumbup:

auntpiggylpn 08-22-2011 07:40 PM

You will get better at it! I had to take public speaking 2 classes ago and I was dreading it! I have spoken in front of audiences from 3 to 150 people for work and I had no problems but to speak in front of 12 people in a classroom terrified me! Just remember, the audience doesn't know what you have planned to say so if you mess up or skip something, they will never know! Just keep plugging away at it!

Painiacs 08-22-2011 09:18 PM

Oh man! I have it BAD! I took 3 speech classes in college. I'd get up to speak and pass out! It got so the instructor wouldn't let me get up in front! But I could sing in from of a class scared but not pass out! I couldn't even get up in front of our church!! I hate being the center of attention! When I gibe a quilt or craft away I try to get DH to do it! Lol

GGinMcKinney 08-22-2011 09:23 PM

For speech class I practiced at home in front of a mirror. Hard to watch myself and read my speech. Finally I set up the tripod and video taped myself. Oh, did I learn what I was doing! This helped me so much to see what I needed to do differently.
I read to look at every person in the audience and then look at each one again. Tip look at their foreheads. The eyes and mouths are the scary part. If you look at their foreheads they don't know you aren't making eye contact.
Practice is the best teacher! Just like quilting, we get better with practice.
Relax, pretend to be someone else! When I had to speak in front of 500 peers and I was told go on stage and tell them about xxxxx I decided to pretend I was Oprah! Hope she didn't mind. It made all the difference in the world.

BrendaY 08-22-2011 09:42 PM

I'm scared, too.....

wolfkitty 08-22-2011 09:44 PM

When I get up to read in front of a group (church), I don't look at them, or, as someone else said, look at their forehead, or look just over their head. My trouble is when I look up, I lose my place in the reading, so I get more nervous. I look at them in the beginning and at the end, but not while I am reading. That way, I can read without speeding, and can focus more on accentuation, and tone of voice placement, etc. If I feel I must look up, I keep a finger on the spot where I am. I just try to pretend to myself that no one is there.

Hope there is something in there that is helpful. Good luck.

In the Public Speaking course I took in college, the professor told us that people are more afraid of speaking in public than of death. Yikes! No wonder people pass out.

wanda lou 08-23-2011 12:04 AM

I can so relate.

Sunflower Girl 08-23-2011 12:17 AM

I joined the Catholic Church about 5 years ago and in my RCIA class I asked about lectoring in the church not expecting to do it for quite some time. To my surprise, and shock, Father put me on the schedule the do the first reading the night of my confirmation! I was terrified and horrified! But, with quite a bit of practice beforehand, I did it! Oh, was my voice shakey, heart beating like a drum and I was dripping in sweat. But, I did it! I now lector regularly and doesn't bother me at all. After that first time in front of the whole congregation, what else could there be to fear about it? It gets much better with time!

Opal Jane 08-23-2011 03:43 AM

The largest audience I have had to speak in front of was 5,000 people (in the Columbus Ohio Convedntion Center)and it was televised. I was nervous but I wanted to do a good job and not look foolish so I got control of the nerves early on by taking a deep breath. I am more nervous in smaller gatherings 10-20 people and tend to suffer with cotton mouth. It does get easier but it is always uncomfortable at the start. Public speaking is the number 1 fear, dieing is second.