Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Starch on the wall?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/starch-wall-t146650.html)

JanTx 08-20-2011 11:01 PM

My sewing room is also the dining room - when anyone who is worthy enough for me to clear out my sewing things comes over, anyway. The ironing board is against the wall. I was ironing away and saw .. hmmm ... a streak of something there behind the ironing board. Rubbed at it and it flaked away. It's starch! A 3 - 4" chair rail of starch the length of the ironing board. More shiny than dirty looking really, but .. starch? Perhaps I'm a bit heavy handed with the stuff? I like starch. If I can shuffle my blocks I'm happy. But ... hadn't expected starch on the wall.

klc 08-20-2011 11:19 PM

Yep. I know mine has spread a little further than I've wanted too many times. My wide ironing board is set up along the end of my cutting table. I've gotten starch on everything sitting on my table. Ugh! I now cover the end of my cutting table, when I'm spraying with starch, with a scrap piece of flannel I had laying around. I also have one on the ironing board so I can toss it in the wash often.

connie_1936 08-20-2011 11:42 PM

i use old large towels

Airwick156 08-20-2011 11:49 PM

An idea could be this...since you are ironing up against the wall...why couldnt you tack a peice of plastic or fabric onto the wall to catch the over spray? I don't see why it couldnt work. Beats getting starch all over the walls. :)

JanTx 08-20-2011 11:51 PM

Deanna - that's what I think I'll do. When I do need to use it as a dining room won't be any problem to take it down. I just never thought about what all I was starching along with my fabric!

earlylace 08-21-2011 04:11 AM

ditto, and mine gets all over the carpet!

amma 08-21-2011 05:35 AM

I generally spray my fabrics over the bathtub, and then rinse it out very well. But I have noticed it on the wall behind my ironing board too. Atleast it wipes off easily :D:D:D

clem55 08-21-2011 07:45 AM

Did any of you see the ad for the Lifestyle wall mounted ironing board that showed on the bottom of the page? I checked it out, pretty neat if you want to spend $239 to iron!LOL

JanTx 08-21-2011 10:24 AM

Oh my goodness. I bought a new iron last night. Fretted over a $24 purchase. Mine must have a short in it cause it works if you're actually ironing, but not if the iron is sitting up -unless you put a pair of scissors on the ironing board and use them to prop the iron at a little angle. After a week of that I'd had it and got a new one. I'm trying to figure out how long I've had that iron and wonder if it's the second one we've had since we got married almost 38 years ago. Surely not? Hmmmmm. But given that I'm certainly not going to spend $239 on an ironing board!