Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Story Time, oh oh a Snake (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/story-time-oh-oh-snake-t221174.html)

Rosyhf 05-10-2013 11:54 AM

Story Time, oh oh a Snake

hahahah did I scare you with the snake? Ok, hubby comes in from the yard (he is always out there lol) and in his hand he is holding a beautiful translucent snake shed skin.

He said that this shed is only a day old. It was clean and all in one piece. I said, I want it!! I was thinking to make a snake for a snake doll or make the doll using the actual skin shed.

Ok for those who don't know about a snake skin shed. The snake sheds it's skin every so often, it just wiggles out of it and leaves it where it falls lol.

I got a glass jar and put equal amounts of glycerin and rubbing alcohol and coiled the shed and put it in the mixture and sealed the jar. Now it has to rest in a dark place for three days and then it's hung to dry and it's cured and can be handled, it is very delicate in it's present stage.

I already have an idea of how to make this snake doll. She is probably going to be a snake queen lol. I hope I am successful with the shed and that it cures right. I will keep you updated and any info anybody has is welcome.

Jan in VA 05-10-2013 01:00 PM

Oh my goodness! :shock:
Well, to each her own, I guess!:eek:
Anything to do with that 5 letter word is just.....gross!:D

Jan in VA

Bneighbor 05-10-2013 01:12 PM

Omg! I have 2 snake skins, each about 8 feet long. Oh, hubby had a python and a boa constrictor (well both are constrictors, really). I always wanted to do something with them. They are carefully wrapped in tissue and in a mason jar. I would love to see a picture when you get the skin cured and when the doll is done.

mermaid 05-10-2013 01:26 PM

I'm w/Jan in VA. Get thee away from me, snake! We were digging sweet potatoes in the garden a few yrs ago and baby snakes came crawling out of the dirt by the dozens. My heart is still pounding!

momto5 05-10-2013 01:35 PM

I know some people actually have PET snakes, and I certainly don't want to offend anyone. HOWEVER....in my humble opinion, the only thing most of them are good for is moving targets to practice shooting....(sorry, I can't stand them!!) Please remember that I said, in MY HUMBLE OPINION......:)

QuiltnNan 05-10-2013 02:37 PM

very interesting! thanks for sharing

SewExtremeSeams 05-10-2013 02:43 PM

Not that I would want to make one for myself, but I will be interested to see what you come up with. Keep us posted.

Stitchnripper 05-10-2013 03:02 PM

OMG my phobia. I hope I never see even a picture of one!

maryb119 05-10-2013 05:51 PM

Right there with you, sister!!!

Originally Posted by momto5 (Post 6056575)
I know some people actually have PET snakes, and I certainly don't want to offend anyone. HOWEVER....in my humble opinion, the only thing most of them are good for is moving targets to practice shooting....(sorry, I can't stand them!!) Please remember that I said, in MY HUMBLE OPINION......:)

bearisgray 05-10-2013 06:23 PM

I've heard all creatures have their purposes - that doesn't mean I want to have a close personal relationship with some of them!

I didn't know that the shed skin could be used - I just assumed that they were fragile and broke up in a day or two and just vanished into the ground.