Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Stuff - as in possessions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/stuff-possessions-t121449.html)

bearisgray 05-07-2011 07:37 AM

Went to an antique store last Monday - and some garage sales the weekend before

A shocking realization - just about everything for sale is something that someone else no longer wanted, had space for, or had any use for. Didn't matter if it was expensive or not when it was purchased - sometimes it just becomes clutter to an owner.

Have you received (or given) stuff that was in the "Thanks, but you REALLY shouldn't have!!!" category?

Murphy 05-07-2011 07:40 AM

I have been the receiver. I am a minimalist and do not desire a lot of possessions, but have friends who are hoarders and believe everyone "needs this" (smile).

sueisallaboutquilts 05-07-2011 07:44 AM

I'm trying really hard to minimize. I'm just so sick of "stuff"
A funny quote from George Carlin:

"Home is where you keep your stuff while you go out and buy other stuff".

Love it!

barb55 05-07-2011 07:49 AM

STUFF IS SOMETHING THAT YOU HAVE TO DUST AND i DON'T LIKE TO DUST. i WANT IT BIG SO YOU CAN DO IT AND GET IT DONE.

NauDeeGal 05-07-2011 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Went to an antique store last Monday - and some garage sales the weekend before

A shocking realization - just about everything for sale is something that someone else no longer wanted, had space for, or had any use for. Didn't matter if it was expensive or not when it was purchased - sometimes it just becomes clutter to an owner.

Have you received (or given) stuff that was in the "Thanks, but you REALLY shouldn't have!!!" category?

My sister does this all the time she has a small storage area that she attempts to clean out annually that she calls her regifting stash.

Annaquilts 05-07-2011 08:05 AM

Oh I am sure I have given stuff and for sure I have received such things. I figure they can do with it what they want and if I received such items,after using it for some time I pass it along to some one who would enjoy it more. I have a lot of clutter. I like my junk dust and all. We have been in situations that we might loose everything due to fires and I was so glad I was able to get back in to my place filled with my junk. It is home.

quiltpd 05-07-2011 08:13 AM

I too have a lot of stuff. A bit of junk tho not too much. A lot of inherited things. My kids don't want it. Hopefully my grandchildren will !

bearisgray 05-07-2011 08:14 AM

I love George Carlin's routine about "STUFF"

It is so very true!

Texasjunebug 05-07-2011 08:34 AM

I don't buy or have much personal stuff - but what I have is either sentimental or I made it myself. Years ago, someone gave me a real china cup painted with beautiful colors. I thought it was so exceptional, I kept it behind a piece of glass so I could see it often and it couldn't get broken. One day I needed a special gift for someone and couldn't buy the appropriate thing. I wrapped it up and gave it to her. I have no idea how she really felt about it, even though she said it was awesome. Whatever the fate of that cup, I still see it in my mind. Maybe none of us would buy much stuff, if everything we did buy was exceptional and meant something. Some people get greater pleasure from the act of buying/spending than from what they get. Maybe that's the real difference found in stuff.

bearisgray 05-07-2011 08:50 AM

I was talking to my sister about going to garage sales -

neither of us need any more "stuff" - our Mom had SOOOOOOO much stuff - but the hunt is soooo much fun!