Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Succesful Dieting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/succesful-dieting-t34186.html)

Lneal 01-15-2010 06:23 AM

Has anyone here experienced a successful diet? I would like for you to share. I've started, since the holidays are over, on the cabbage soup diet and not finding it so pleasant. Any better ideas?

Thanks!

Up North 01-15-2010 06:53 AM

That is the one that worked for me. I did add some beef flavoring to mine.

Charlee 01-15-2010 07:06 AM

I have, to date since March 1, 2009, lost over 100 pounds. The picture in my avatar was the end of May, about 40 lbs down from my starting weight of nearly 300 lbs.

You've probably heard it before, and for me, it's true. You can't diet and be successful, you have to make a lifestyle change.
I went to www.caloriecount.about.com and used the tools there, along with the forums, they even have a nutritionist that you can ask questions of...all for free. The tools available are awesome, the two I used the most were the burn meter and the calorie counter. By entering your height, weight, age, and activity level they will tell you how much you burn in a day, how many calories you should have to lose about a pound and a half per week, (1% of your current body weight is a safe amount)

The best advice I got while I was using the board? "Don't do ANYTHING to lose weight that you're not going to be happy doing for the rest of your life".

Let me know if I can do anything to help you!! Good luck, and toss that cabbage soup out! ;)

Maribeth 01-15-2010 07:08 AM

Charlee, Thanks for the link. I will look into that. And congrats on the weight loss. Maribeth

janRN 01-15-2010 07:10 AM

Lneal: First off, I gain 5lbs everytime I look at your avatar!!
Last year I used green tea and over 12 months lost 22 lbs. I drank 16 oz of green tea during the day and it seemed to suppress my appetite. It's healthy (so they say this year, who knows what they'll say next year) and you can get it decaffeinated. Since it's liquid, I felt full and didn't snack all day.
I put on some pounds over the holiday and plan to start again. I hope it works for me again.
Everyone's different-don't know if this will help or not. Good luck and keep us posted.

marsye 01-15-2010 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Lneal
Has anyone here experienced a successful diet? I would like for you to share. I've started, since the holidays are over, on the cabbage soup diet and not finding it so pleasant. Any better ideas?

Thanks!

Yes, change your avatar to a carrot. LMAO! :lol:

Leota 01-15-2010 07:14 AM

Charlee...1st...CONGRATULATIONS! That is terrific. Keep up the good work :D
2nd. Thank you for the good advice. Yes, we fall into habits that are devistating to our bodies. A simple lifestyle change goes a long way toward weight loss. The older we get, the more difficult (but NOT impossible) it is to lose weight.
3rd. Only you can do what must be done to lose the weight. No one else can do it for you.
4th. Walking is the cheepest and easiest form of exercise. No $$ or equipment required. :D

Charlee 01-15-2010 07:18 AM

You're so right Jan...everyone is different! :)

I've never seen anyone tho, lose weight with a "diet" (i.e., cabbage soup, Atkins, grapefruit, Nutrisystem, or Jenny Craig) that didn't gain it all back...because as soon as you quit eating the prescribed foods, you're back to where you were when you gained in the first place.

I still eat everything I want to eat, I'm just more aware... I read labels, and stick to one serving. That pizza is NOT the last pizza in the world...a large salad and one slice is enough. I can have more tomorrow if I really want it. Oh...and watch those salads! If you load them with bacon bits, cheese, and ranch salad dressing, skip the pizza! ;)

Charlee 01-15-2010 07:20 AM

Oh Leota! I bet I've walked ten thousand miles since March of 09!! :lol:

Lneal 01-15-2010 07:39 AM

, change your avatar to a carrot

Hope this helps!!! LOL!! I have lost 6lbs I need to lose 20!! I feel like I'm taking baby steps.