Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Super Glue To The Rescue (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/super-glue-rescue-t89859.html)

KathyAire 01-12-2011 10:02 AM

If you suffer from the infliction that I'm about to address, this will be the best information you ever received.
Those extremely painful little cuts or cracks on the tips of fingers and thumbs take forever to heal. If you use super glue to hold the skin together while they are healing you will receive instant relief from pain. You just need a little drop. Be careful that you don't glue your fingers together. I buy three tubes of super glue in a package at the dollar store for, you guessed it, a dollar.
If that doesn't work, take an aspirin and call me in the morning.
Dr. Patterson

new2quilt 01-12-2011 10:07 AM

wow! Yes I suffer from that. Tiny cuts and I feel like such a baby, however they get really sore and take a long time to heal.Got to try your method w/ super glue.
THANKS SO MUCH!
Chris

raptureready 01-12-2011 10:17 AM

Works unless you have an allergy to anything in it.

DON'T, however, EVER EVER use it to glue a filling back in your tooth. I did that once, thinking that it would hold through the holidays then I'd go to the dentist. I'd have probably been alright if I'd actually done that but it held so well I forgot about it for quite some time. Even after the insurance paid their part I still had to shell out $300 for that cap and that was about 20-25 years ago.

amma 01-12-2011 10:17 AM

LMBO My last surgery, they used a form of super glue instead of stitches... I have to say it did heal nicer than stitches or staples :D:D:D

I would hesitate to use super glue on anything other than a superficial cut, this is not sterile like what is used medically. :wink:

quiltsRfun 01-12-2011 10:20 AM

Doctors have been using it in place of stitches. When DH had surgery his incision was glued shut. It was a small incision, maybe two inches.

Lacelady 01-12-2011 10:31 AM

I use it on nicks in my fingernails (at the sides, where they take a long time to grow out). I have to replace it every so often, but it gives the nail a chance to grow a bit, and helps to stop the nick catching on everything along the way.

user15356 01-12-2011 10:34 AM

Don't forget the duct tape! My plumber taught me this a couple years back when he gave himself a bad cut. I wanted to take him to urgent care, but he said this happens all the time. Glued the cut wrapped it with duct tape and went on with his work. I asked my daughter, the surgical nurse about this. She told me they use something just like super glue in the OR all the time. Go figure. I just hope I don't find out they use kitchen spoons too. :twisted: :hunf:

cashmommy11 01-12-2011 10:54 AM

my son had a cut above his eye when he was about 5 they glued the cut shut but the glue also ran and glued his eye shut of about a week never did get a dr.bill for that one

dreamer2009 01-12-2011 11:01 AM

I will never forget the time my husband did this on my finger.
I ended up in the Emergency room.
Should you ever want to do this PLEASE remember to CLEAN AREA well first.
We didn't know at the time I had an infection from the tiny little cut.

hobo2000 01-12-2011 11:05 AM

Super glue originally was made for that on the battlefield, to hold people together until they could get them out to a medic. However, it contains arsenic, and should never be used in the mouth. Due to its composition, it is pure coming out of the tube.