Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Sweet dreams (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/sweet-dreams-t190353.html)

SouthPStitches 05-30-2012 05:04 AM

Sweet dreams

For longer than I can remember, there has been on on-going battle between Hubby and I. It's the year 2012 and we're still sleeping on a water bed mattress since 1978. Yup, you're reading that correctly. He thinks it's wonderful and didn't want any kind of a change. Mind you, he could get a decent night's sleep on a park bench. It's been killing me, between the arthritis and hot flashes. It wasn't supporting my joints enough and the very last thing I need in my life is any added heat! Hated to but issued an ultimatum, which is more important to him, the water bed or sleeping with his wife......... I now understand why Ricky and Lucy Ricardo slept in twin beds.

Happy to report, a queen size pillow top is being delivered this afternoon. In retrospect, why did I spend months arguing with him? I should have just taken my handy dandy seam ripper to his side of the waterbed mattress and poked a series of small holes/leaks on his side of the bed........all's fair in love and war!

Anyhow, think of me tonight, hopefully super comfortable and getting the best sleep I've had in forever.

MaryMo 05-30-2012 05:07 AM

Ah !!!! Wonderful sleep ....

I had a waterbed until 5 years ago .... finally decided to grow up. LOL :D

Cheshirecatquilter 05-30-2012 05:44 AM

You should have just gotten a cat and spread out some quilting fabric on top of the bare waterbed. Those little kneading feet would have caused the monster to bleed to death in short order. No guilt involved.

Neesie 05-30-2012 05:51 AM

Bless your heart! It never ceases to amaze me, how patient some people can be. Like others, I'd have made sure that thing mysteriously met its end, long before now. :D

ptquilts 05-30-2012 05:52 AM

I feel for you!! When DH settles in for the night, I tell him I feel seasick! And we don't even have a waterbed!

ptquilts 05-30-2012 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 5253197)
Bless your heart! It never ceases to amaze me, how patient some people can be. Like others, I'd have made sure that thing mysteriously met its end, long before now. :D

Only problem with that - I bet SHE would have been stuck cleaning up the mess!

gramajo 05-30-2012 08:33 AM

I've had a king sized waterbed for 30 years. I have a hard time sleeping on a regular mattress. I'll be downsizing in the next few months & HATE the thought of giving it up. :thumbdown:

SouthPStitches 05-30-2012 09:13 AM

You may be surprised at the comfort of the newer mattresses.....so many choices and styles now. Not the mattress and box spring combo at all. The delivery guys just drove away. I have a brand new set of queen sheets in the washer as we speak. I'm so excited. Hope to have it all made up and snazzy before Hubby gets home tonight.

Tessa 05-30-2012 10:06 AM

We have had a king size waterbed since 1977 and we love it. All of our children had waterbeds growing up but now they all have regular beds. Not sure we will ever give our up.

buslady 05-30-2012 12:29 PM

Just got rid of ours a couple of years ago. We were both scared we wouldn't like anything else. Had same mattress for 30 some years, no problems except the stuff that keeps it from moving had all moved to the foot. So, we bought a new mattress. Within a week our cat had punctured a whole bunch of holes in one corner. Must have been chasing the bubbles you get when you first fill them up, cause she had never done this before. We were just sick!! Anyway, finally took the plung and got a king size pillow top serta. Absolutely LOVE it.