Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   symptoms of thread ingestion by cat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/symptoms-thread-ingestion-cat-t104704.html)

lisalisa 03-03-2011 01:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So I'm really good about keeping the threads up because of the cat. He isn't really the type to eat string so I'm not overly concerned, but over the past few days he has fallen ill. Acting listless, dry heaving, not eating and occasionally acting like he has a fur ball. He's not cleaning himself and his hair is falling out. I'm getting him to the vet first thing in the morning.

I was just wondering, for those of you who have gone through this. What are the symptoms? Should I alert my vet to the possibility of him eating thread? Of course I have a few cats, all of whom get ill from time to time. I'm probably just being paranoid, but you guys have me all wondering now and I can't stop thinking about it.

Tell me it isn't so. I'll never forgive myself if this ends up being the case.

:(

My love buggy
[ATTACH=CONFIG]124910[/ATTACH]

bjnicholson 03-03-2011 01:47 PM

What a sweet kitty. I don't have a cat so I can't advise you but I'm sending best wishes that all everything is ok with your little love.

sandyo 03-03-2011 01:52 PM

My cats never eat thread but do get sick occasionally. It does not hurt to give your vet any information that might help though. Good luck

irishrose 03-03-2011 01:53 PM

What a pretty face. I have no idea about thread symptoms. Have you given him a hairball remedy? I used to have a little long haired cat who needed it regularly.

It's sad when our fubabies are ill or hurt. I cut the quick quick badly today on one of my dogs when trimming her nails. She is wrapped in gauze and vetwrap looking pathetic. Not because she's in pain, but because she got in trouble for removing the first bandage. At least pouting keeps her quiet.

Best wishes on your app't.

gal288 03-03-2011 02:04 PM

My. Cat was acting the same way, turned out to be underactive thryoid,, she's now on a daily pill, no more trouble.

barefoot quilter 03-03-2011 02:07 PM

you can tell he don't feel good hope he gets better
sending a little (((HUG))) for him

Candace 03-03-2011 02:19 PM

I had a cat that ate things he shouldn't and I'm sorry, but it sounds exactly like your cat's symptoms. We had to do a $1,500 surgery to remove the obstruction. And then he did the same thing 6 months later and we had to put him to sleep. He suffered from PICA which he ate anything he could find...toys, shoe laces, anything that could fit in his mouth.

You need to take him to the vet and yes, tell the vets he likes to snack on string.

scowlkat 03-03-2011 06:30 PM

We make our own hairball remedy by using peanut butter with some fish oil mixed in (from capsules). It has greatly reduced the amount of hairballs and their coats actually seem to look better. Our vet said it was okay to give them.

sueisallaboutquilts 03-03-2011 07:18 PM

Poor sweet baby. I hope it's nothing serious. Glad you're taking him in.

CarrieAnne 03-03-2011 08:08 PM

He is so cute. Hope he is okay!