Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Taxes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/taxes-t18814.html)

Jim's Gem 04-11-2009 09:31 AM

I work for an accountant and did not get my taxes to them until the 25th of March. I told them that we don't mind if they extend us. We still have (as of 3pm yesterday) 160 returns to do by Wednesday. There will be quite a few that we will extend. We also have clients that will call us Wednesday afternoon and say "extend me" and then show up on the 14th of October to bring in their stuff expecting it to be finished the next day!!!!
Dh and I had pulled it all out in early February to get the paperwork together but didn't find a number and just put it away and sort of "forgot" about it. I didn't forget, since I deal with tax returns all day every day, but dh didn't want to have to figure out some of our home repairs we did. We shouldn't owe anything.

Barbm 04-11-2009 11:33 AM

Our accountant saves us for end of March. We have to pay in- hubby forgot to take off the dependent we lost last year. How can you forget to do that? It's not that bad but I wish we got money back. He has told HR that our son graduated college and is working full time now.

Guess I better adopt some kids.

Ninnie 04-11-2009 12:03 PM

We have a standing appointment on April 15th at 5:00 Have had for years! LOL

sewhappy57 04-11-2009 12:55 PM

Hubby does taxes for a living, all I ever see is sign here! LOL

ButtercreamCakeArtist 04-11-2009 01:05 PM

We received ours in February and are building 2 rooms on to our house with it...well, part of it...it wasn't enough.

sewjoyce 04-11-2009 01:38 PM

I think I'm gonna get my cat a social security number so I can claim him as a dependent... :roll: :roll:

tlrnhi 04-11-2009 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
I think I'm gonna get my cat a social security number so I can claim him as a dependent... :roll: :roll:

I've thought about that before. Have heard stories of people who have done that, but eventually got caught! lol

amma 04-11-2009 03:15 PM

One year where I worked, a gentleman brought in his taxes....2 BIG boxes of receipts, April 15th at 5:30pm. No way could he have missed the BIG sign she had on the door: CLOSING AT 6:00PM :roll: We always closed at 6:00pm sharp on the 15th :? I went and asked my boss what she wanted me to tell him and she said tell him we will do it but it will be an extra $200 :shock: thinking that he would say no way and leave. He said ok, that's fine and so we had to stay until almost midnight getting his return filed on time :lol: :lol: I was not happy about it....(neither was he having to come in and sign his return :wink: but then she gave the $200 to me as a bonus :D :D :D

Shelley 04-11-2009 03:43 PM

I also work as a freelance bookkeeper. Prior to public accounting, I was the queen of extensions. NO MORE! I have found it to be less stressful on me and my CPA to have everything to them in early February. If I have money coming back, I can file right away. If I have to pay, I set it up to file early, and pay electronically on April 15th. The reduction in stress is worth it.

With my bookkeeping clients, I don't do their federal taxes (no state taxes in WA), but we do have their stuff done early. In 2008, I had a new client that always complained that I was too early in the month for his monthly sales tax reports. I finished his stuff on the 14th. And broke my wrist that night. When I saw him a month later, his attitude totally changed. "You come see me anytime you want. I realize how close that was to having to do my own bookwork."

Tink's Mom 04-11-2009 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce

I think Tinkerbelle should have one. After all she owns the house and me!!!And with the cost at the VET, we should be able to take off her medical bills also..... :wink:

Terri, You get to take off Big Boy don't you???